"Don't let the fat chick beat you"?

I have been racing for about 5 years now. I am not a typical runner or even triathlete. I fight with serious medical conditions every step of the way, but each step makes me stronger. I have two boys both with special needs and I have learned to chalk that up to making me stronger as well.


It is with sad heart that I must report that lupus has won the battle this year, but trust me when I say the war is far from over! My racing days are not over by any stretch of the imagination. This is just a minor setback that will make me stronger.

Friday, November 5, 2010

Update

Ok, it has been a while since I posted, but I swear I have a good reason! I almost want to say all hell has been breaking loose, but it is more like all hell is going in the right direction!
Not only was last Wednesday my birthday, I managed to be stupid enough to schedule my follow up appointment on that day (I know, what was I thinking!). Prior to my appointment I received a call from the doc’s office telling me my Vitamin D was low and I need to start taking supplements NOW! I of course googled it and found out Vitamin D (specially D3 [the one I was low on]) is from the sun. Hello, I run marathons and triathlons, I get plenty of sun time (and most of the time I only put sunscreen on my face!). Then I looked further into it “what causes vitamin D deficieny?” my friend google told me, cancer, cancer, cancer, lupus, cancer. Great! And I am going to the doc’s office on my birthday why? Somehow I managed to clear my head and figured if it were that bad, well they would call me in sooner!
Wednesday morning I dropped off my kids and headed to the gym. I only did 5 miles, my HR spiked to over 180 and averaged in the 170s! WHAT???? I never spike higher than the 170s and average in the 150s (max). Next I went to the doc…
Not only was Vitamin D low, my B12 was low too! My ANA level is still making the doc suspect lupus and I have a referral to a rheumatologist (aka rheumy). My x-rays looked good (YAY! No arthritis!), I was told to up my one of my meds and come back in a month.
Then Saturday came around (still tired as all get out), my sister, my kids and I went out to pick up a few things. I had to hold on to my younger son for dear life so I would fall over! He left me to get something, I reached out to grab something and my sister had to grab me before I fell. I called my doc back on Monday and he said lower the dosage back to what it was! He called me back into his office yesterday (still having dizzy issues, but rest of the problems were kind of calming down), took me off that medicine completely (but he is pretty sure that is not what is causing it), just in case! He also put me on an anti-dizzy medicine to see if that helps. No I am just waiting for my rheumy appt to be scheduled. First they look at my file (should be done beginning of next week), then I get a priority level, then I get scheduled (late December/early January). Until then I do what I can and hang on for the ride.
I have had to modify my training a lot lately. Trying to be realistic; for the first 10 miles, I will run a song, walk a song. After 10 miles, I will run one song every mile. I promised my sister I will not hit my favorite trail in case I need emergency medical transportation! My favorite trail can go miles with no easy road access. Saturday I will run around my neighborhood, Sunday I will leave my neighborhood, but both days I will be doing sidewalk runs. If I didn’t agree to this I have a feeling my sister would have hidden my running shoes!

1 comment:

  1. Most people are D3 deficient (especially African Americans). D3 requires calcium to bind to it to be utilized by the body. So remember to take (or consume) enough calcium also.

    Kevin
    http://halftriing.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete