"Don't let the fat chick beat you"?

I have been racing for about 5 years now. I am not a typical runner or even triathlete. I fight with serious medical conditions every step of the way, but each step makes me stronger. I have two boys both with special needs and I have learned to chalk that up to making me stronger as well.

It is with sad heart that I must report that lupus has won the battle this year, but trust me when I say the war is far from over! My racing days are not over by any stretch of the imagination. This is just a minor setback that will make me stronger.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

One weekend 42.4 miles

Once again I manged to make it through another Goofy Challenge. Actually I completed the Dopey Challenge; I did Goofy plus the 5k! All in all it was a great race weekend.

Friday, we woke up at around 4am, we got on the bus around 5 and hung out at the start line until the race started at 7am. Cuervo was up with me and Jose was back with my sister. As soon as we hit the start line Cuervo took off (kind of expected that). I stuck to my plan. I was going to run/walk, take it nice and easy. I stopped to get a picture with Little Chef (the rat from Ratatouille), got the the finish line feeling great, got my medal, my snack bag and started looking from everyone else. While I was in the picture line Jose found me. I stopped at a security guard and asked for help finding Cuervo (mention the words 'bipolar' and 'no meds yet' people get very helpful!). My sister finished and sent me a text letting me know that she had seen Cuervo (he was cheering her on as she crossed the finish line) but didn't know where he had gone. We started really looking for him (a little on the panicked side), I found someone who was willing to page him, but got a text from my sister saying she has him and we are all good and he was fine (he didn't start freaking out, which is something he has been known to do). We got back to the room, all cleaned up and continued with out day!

Saturday we woke up at a disgusting time (2am), we were on the bus by 3 am. I decided to wear my CW-X tights, with Nike pants over the top with a Under Armor bra and shirt. The race send off was great; fireworks and the works! I have to say, this is one of my favorite courses. Again, I took it nice and slow, I kept a very close eye on how much water I was drinking (I have to be very careful not to over hydrate, on the same token, I have to make sure I don't get dehydrated). I had my sharkies with me, I had forgotten about them until about mile 8. I crossed the finish line feeling good. Ok, my feet were a little sore (my heel has been pissy lately).

Sunday morning was another morning of waking up at an obscene time. Once again, everyone got up at 2 am, on the bus by 3. Both mornings I did get the marathon breakfast boxes (banana, bagel, peanut butter, water and granola bar). I wore my new Running Girl capri running skirt (I know, you shouldn't wear anything new on race day, I was already chafing from Saturday, I didn't care!), my “Chick Interrupted” t-shirt and my CW-X bra. I felt great the first 10 miles. I was still feeling strong my mile 13. I started having issues about 15 or so, my knee got a little grouchy. Mile 20 my feet were starting to get mad. I met a gentleman who did the Boulder Boulder, talked to him for a little ways. I was at Mile 21 before I knew it (mile 20 – 21 was the boring mile). I was at mile 23 and met a nice kid who said pretty soon he will prove a lot of people wrong (Tyler had been told by a lot of people that he would not be able to complete a marathon). My iPod and my watch both died before left him. I started pacing a local runner who had also done all three races. We talked to each other until we hit the finish area, I had to do my usual sprint across the line. Yes, I am suffering from some very uncomfortable chaffing, I have had to wear my knee brace the past few days and my feet (mostly my heels) are very sore but I feel good. I am glad I did it, I wish that I didn't deal with a flare up this past October/November, but I over came it.

I was very slow all three races, but I am glad I took it easy, I am glad I knew my body was not at 100% and, for once, I listened to it.

Next on my agenda is a century ride, but that isn't for a few months. I will not be running another marathon until October. I am kind of excited turning my focus to another spot, but I will still be putting in a few miles each week. I will also be adding swimming back in, assuming my shoulder plays nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment