"Don't let the fat chick beat you"?

I have been racing for about 5 years now. I am not a typical runner or even triathlete. I fight with serious medical conditions every step of the way, but each step makes me stronger. I have two boys both with special needs and I have learned to chalk that up to making me stronger as well.

It is with sad heart that I must report that lupus has won the battle this year, but trust me when I say the war is far from over! My racing days are not over by any stretch of the imagination. This is just a minor setback that will make me stronger.

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Slacker Half Marathon

I want to preface this blog by reminding everyone that I have lupus and not only are my kidneys enjoying this disease my live has been effected too. Lupies have to take extreme precautions when in the sun.  I do not spend any time in the sun without have at least 80 SPF on, I wear hats (my sister has helped my collection of big floppy sun hats)…

Ultraviolet light is the invisible radiation in sunlight. "Sunlight may trigger a lupus rash and it can also trigger symptoms of joint pain and fatigue," notes Dr. Bishnoi. Lupus is a disease that goes through periods of quiet and periods of increased disease activity called flares. Many people with lupus experience flares if they get too much sun exposure.

 I do not mean to bash the race or the directors when I say this was the worst possible race for me. 

Wake up call was around 3:30 am. My running buddy (and good friend) Lynne and I were carpooling for Georgetown for the Slacker Half Marathon which was scheduled to start at 8:00 am. Lynne got to my house at around 4:20(ish).  We loaded up in my car and off we went.  We got up there before the crowd really hit, we parked and went to pick up our bibs.  We ran to two of our running buddies (Felicity and Cindy)  as they were picking up their bibs too.  We went back to my car to get ready for the race and I finally got to meet Renee!  Lynne and I got all ready to go and we loaded up the bus… shortly after the bus departed Lynne realized she forgot her sunglass, so she had to ride the bus back down to get them! Once I got to the start area I ran into Felicity and Cindy and let them know about Lynne. We stood around and chatted for a while and then Renee caught up with us.  The race start was postponed a little bit because there were still busses on their way up with runners.  Luckily Lynne made it back in time.

This was the good part of the course!
This part of the course kicked my luppie butt!
The race start was pretty uneventful, there was a MAJOR bottle neck at the beginning (really needs to be reconsidered).  The first 4(ish) miles were on a bike path and there was a lot of nice shade.  Water stops every two miles.  The temperature was climbing pretty quickly especially since I was going pokey pace (I was having breathing issues – might have been the altitude, the fires, no idea!). Once I got out of the shade I was screwed!  There was minimal along rest of the course and I started battling cotton mouth around Mile 9. I was ready to throw in the towel, my bottom of my feet were covered with blisters there were no water stations in sight. The emergency personal I asked about water was a complete ass hole!  I finally got to a water stop at Mile 11, I stopped and drank more water than I should have, it all came right back up at Mile 11.5 (just in time for a tourist train to go by!!!!!!!!).  Thank God Lynne was at Mile 12, she walked with me to the end.  I was hurting!  I had no business touching this race, there is not enough shade and there sure the hell wasn’t enough water!  I am sure it would be a great race for people who do not deal with photosensitivity.   The scenery was amazing! The trees are beautiful, but this race is just not one that belongs on my to do list again!

~If you hear that someone is speaking ill of you, instead of trying to defend yourself you should say: "He obviously does not know me very well, since there are so many other faults he could have mentioned"~


  1. Oh, dear! Just found your blog! You are a trooper. The day was tough. I've run it 3 years in a row (glutton for punishment) and I, too, have upchucked around mile 11.
    It was a particularly tough day. The bottleneck was really bad - they need to start waving the runners through!

  2. I learned my lesson with that one. The bottle neck is something they REALLY NEED to fix. That was nuts! I didn't do my homework on this race and I paid for it. The scenery was amazing! :)