"Don't let the fat chick beat you"?

I have been racing for about 5 years now. I am not a typical runner or even triathlete. I fight with serious medical conditions every step of the way, but each step makes me stronger. I have two boys both with special needs and I have learned to chalk that up to making me stronger as well.


It is with sad heart that I must report that lupus has won the battle this year, but trust me when I say the war is far from over! My racing days are not over by any stretch of the imagination. This is just a minor setback that will make me stronger.

Monday, August 6, 2012

Tri for the Cure – Pre-race

Technically I guess race weekend began on Friday.  Three out of four of my boys were going to hang out with Grandma and Papa for the weekend.  We decided that two of the boys really should have a bath before heading over to the house with the light colored carpet. We stopped by Wag-n-Wash for bath time and nail trimming. Charlie LOVES bath day, Freddie not so much! We got both boys nice and clean and the brought them in for nail trims.  After a visit to the bakery we headed out. Once again my car would start up for about five seconds and then die.  This is the third time this year and at least the 5th time since I have owned my car so I knew exactly what was going on.  I called my mom to come pick us up and then the tow truck to get the car.  While we were waiting I got my stuff together, I keep my running shoes in my car more often than not, plus we had Cuervo’s stuff and the fur kids’ weekend stuff.  My mom arrived and the tow truck arrived.  The five of us got in my mom’s car and headed over to the dealership (they are the only ones who can fix the problem).  Once my poor car was checked in we headed over to my parent’s house.  My sister met us over there to give me and Jose a ride home. 
Saturday morning I had hoped to be out of the house by 10 am but my sister had to go in to work (she is usually off on the weekends), while she was at work Jose and I got packed, got the truck ready to go.  I had to wait until my sister got home to get my running shoes out of her car plus a few other things I needed for the race. When my sister finally got home (after 11) I started collecting my stuff and could only find one shoe.  You have got to be kidding me!!!!! We finally got on the road and headed up to Aurora.  Went to packet pick-up, got my stuff; went to the expo, luckily Skirt Sports was there I needed a new bike skirt because the padding in my previous one had lost the padding after it was washed.  There wasn’t a whole heck of a lot else to look it so we jetted.  We stopped by McAllister’s for a carefully chosen lunch (keeping sodium as low as possible).  When we got to the hotel we couldn’t check in yet (room wasn’t ready).  Off to King Soopers to get breakfast for the next morning.  When we got back to the hotel we were able to check in and we took some quiet time and I got everything ready for race day.  I found out that my running watch was dead and I didn't have the charger with me, I reminded myself it was just a training run and all was good (I was trying to keep positive).  Dinner was spaghetti from Carrabba's Italian Grill. Unfortunately I didn’t get to sleep until after 2:00 am.



~If you hear that someone is speaking ill of you, instead of trying to defend yourself you should say: "He obviously does not know me very well, since there are so many other faults he could have mentioned"~

No comments:

Post a Comment