"Don't let the fat chick beat you"?

I have been racing for about 5 years now. I am not a typical runner or even triathlete. I fight with serious medical conditions every step of the way, but each step makes me stronger. I have two boys both with special needs and I have learned to chalk that up to making me stronger as well.


It is with sad heart that I must report that lupus has won the battle this year, but trust me when I say the war is far from over! My racing days are not over by any stretch of the imagination. This is just a minor setback that will make me stronger.

Friday, September 7, 2012

She's ill


It is kind of funny; I have lived with the diagnosis of lupus for two(ish) years now.  I have done my homework, I have done my research, I understand what living with lupus means, but it hadn’t really set in until this past month.  I have dealt with minor flare ups, weeks of exhaustion, but this past month I spent the majority of my time flat on my back.  I was relying on pain pills and muscle relaxers on a daily basis.  It hurt something fierce trying to go grocery shopping.  My boys are amazing and helped out in every way they could, and don’t get me started on my sister!  Even though I was down and out life kept moving forward.  Last week I finally started feeling a little bit human again, I am still sleeping for hours on end, but I am not hurting anywhere near as bad (but I still hurt).  After going grocery shopping on one day and kiddo appointments the next I end up in bed for the next few days because I have no energy to do anything else.  I cannot believe how horrible this is.  I mean, I get it you hurt, you get fatigued, but this is insane.  I can’t even go for a walk about my block and that is less than a half mile.  My poor fur babies are confused beyond all get out! Not that they are complaining about all the love time they get, but are still confused.

While we were out shopping this past weekend my sister made the comment about me being ill.  I know it is true, but it hurt beyond all get out actually hearing someone say it out loud. Anyway, I will recover and I will be back out there on the course.  Lupus may slow me down but I refuse to let me it stop me all together!




~If you hear that someone is speaking ill of you, instead of trying to defend yourself you should say: "He obviously does not know me very well, since there are so many other faults he could have mentioned"~

1 comment: