"Don't let the fat chick beat you"?

I have been racing for about 5 years now. I am not a typical runner or even triathlete. I fight with serious medical conditions every step of the way, but each step makes me stronger. I have two boys both with special needs and I have learned to chalk that up to making me stronger as well.


It is with sad heart that I must report that lupus has won the battle this year, but trust me when I say the war is far from over! My racing days are not over by any stretch of the imagination. This is just a minor setback that will make me stronger.

Monday, May 14, 2012

Back in the saddle again!

After a week of recovery and unexpected mishaps I returned to the gym in fine form today.  Before Colorado Half marathon I had a schedule of so much time on the treadmill and this and that and blah, blah, blah.  Today I went in with a little bit of a different take on things.  I figured I would do three miles on the treadmill and a mile in the pool.  My treadmill plan was to “run” more than I had been  (mind you my “run” right now is a VERY slow jog).  I did a nice 10 minute warm up and then went straight into a comfortable walk 1 minute, run 4 minutes; until the end, I ran the last .6 miles.  After my nice run, it was pool time.


As I was getting into the pool I noticed my legs were a little stiff, but I wasn’t too worried.  I started swimming and as I swam I could feel everything relaxing and everything started feeling good all over.  At the end of my mile I looked at my watch and noticed I had shaved off another two minutes! I still have another five minutes to get back to where I was, but hey, every little bit helps.


On the medical front, things are going as cheerful.   I went in for a follow up and found out that I had blood in my urine.  The lupus has started messing with my kidneys so this is not happy news.  My doc isn’t worrying yet, she is hoping it is just a fluke and has ordered another urine test to see if the results come back the same or if they come back normal.  I am trying to keep my mind off of it, but it is kind of hard.  We then started talking about natural treatments for lupus and I told her about the whole no land animal and we started talking about gluten free.  I am not ready to try gluten free, but it is something I am more than happy to do research on and at some point in the near future I will give it a test run and see if there is any differences or not.  I am up for anything that will get the damn chemicals out of my system!




~If you hear that someone is speaking ill of you, instead of trying to defend yourself you should say: "He obviously does not know me very well, since there are so many other faults he could have mentioned"~

No comments:

Post a Comment