"Don't let the fat chick beat you"?

I have been racing for about 5 years now. I am not a typical runner or even triathlete. I fight with serious medical conditions every step of the way, but each step makes me stronger. I have two boys both with special needs and I have learned to chalk that up to making me stronger as well.


It is with sad heart that I must report that lupus has won the battle this year, but trust me when I say the war is far from over! My racing days are not over by any stretch of the imagination. This is just a minor setback that will make me stronger.

Monday, May 21, 2012

Rest Day

I know, starting the training week with a rest day is a little odd, but hey, you go pick up and the book and read what it says on page 294.  The training week starts on Tuesday, which is actually a good thing.  Jose went out the door, no issues.  Cuervo decided to curl up at the foot of my bed after getting dressed and went to sleep.  He kept coughing (we have had the cruds going the family for a good week or so).  We managed to get out the door, but came right back in not to long after.  Poor little guy returned to the foot of my bed (not sure why he didn’t go to his bed) and slept.  He woke up around lunch and asked for soup and hot tea and then went back to sleep.  He was feeling better went he went to bed tonight (after he had his honey water [hot water with some honey in it]).

While I was hanging out at home I figured I would get a question that has been bugging me a little bit answered.  Why change during T1 in an IM… so I went to a group I knew would give me some good information, the Pikes Peak Tri Club.

PPTC Member #1: If you're swimming in salt water, it's worth a change. I changed to regular bike shorts in T1 for my first IM and I'm glad I did.
I didn't even think about the salt water! And then you changed out of the bike shorts for the run?
PPTC Member #2:  as PPTC Member #1 said the advantage to changing you can change into bike shorts which obviously have more padding for the bike. You then have to change again into running gear unless you wear a swim suit then change into a tri short for the bike and run. Ive done Cozumel twice and didnt change and no issues. If your in salt water it can be more chaffing for sure. good luck
PPTC Member #1:  I did. It was my first so I wanted to be comfortable.
Me:  I am doing Beach2Battleship in NC, the swim is salt water. When I did 5430 (before IM bought it) I wore a bike skirt over my tri shorts for the ride. Any possible way to reduce chaffing I am ALL in for!!!!!
PPTC Member #3:  I just did IMSG and I changed top and bottoms both times. Cycling shorts (not bib) and cycling top for the bike and tri shorts and tri top for the run. Cycling top had larger pockets that I pre-stuffed with food and arm coolers AND the larger pockets are great for stuffing supplies from aid stations like an extra water bottle. Try top has much smaller pockets, but they had gel in them already. Also changed my socks at T2 and again from my run special needs bag. The time it takes to strip off the clothes and put on fresh is well worth it - probably added less than 1 minute total to my transition times (time yourself changing - should be able to completely change in less than 30 seconds). That time is saved back in the long run by just having fresh clothes. Volunteers are there to help pick it all up and stuff it back in the bag too. I highly recommend a full change.
Mr: Extra socks in special needs run bag... GOT IT!!!!!!
thank you all for the information. I know I still have 5 months, but I am starting to get very excited and trying to start getting my ducks in a row.
PPTC Member #4:  In my ironman I changed in each transition, and will do again. As john said, better to be comfortable for that next phase. Obtw be prepared for Anything, I wish I brought cold weather gear for Florida. Seriously you can't be over prepared. Good luck and train smart.
Me:I keep reading about how cold it was last year. I already have on my shopping list gloves for the bike, thanks to lupus if my hands even get chilled I can't use them, so I NEED to make sure they stay nice and warm. I don't care if the weather man says it will be 80 degrees, I will have cold weather gear with me!


 Very helpful information!
Tomorrow spin class and then maybe head downtown after kiddos get home and do a group run with them.

 

~If you hear that someone is speaking ill of you, instead of trying to defend yourself you should say: "He obviously does not know me very well, since there are so many other faults he could have mentioned"~

No comments:

Post a Comment