"Don't let the fat chick beat you"?

I have been racing for about 5 years now. I am not a typical runner or even triathlete. I fight with serious medical conditions every step of the way, but each step makes me stronger. I have two boys both with special needs and I have learned to chalk that up to making me stronger as well.


It is with sad heart that I must report that lupus has won the battle this year, but trust me when I say the war is far from over! My racing days are not over by any stretch of the imagination. This is just a minor setback that will make me stronger.

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Lots o stuff!

Ok, I have been fairly quiet for a while now, but a lot has been going on. Mostly I have been dealing with (what I hope is only) a mini flare up affecting more body parts then my last one.
Last week I took my kiddos to Elitch Gardens in Denver. The park is really two parks in one; a water park and an amazement park. We got there nice and early so I could plant myself under an umbrella covered myself with 100 spf and let my kids have fun (they had to check in with me frequently!).  I decided to go into to the wave pool for a little while and the water was cool, it wasn’t to bad once you were in and got used to it.  So I thought!  When I got out of the water (maybe 10 minutes after getting in) I could not move my hands!  They hurt so bad! I started thinking about my upcoming triathlons and started to worry, I really need my hands to work as soon as I get out of the water.  Like any smart person would do I contacted the venues explained the situation and was so excited to read that two out of three (so far) have no issues with me wearing gloves during the swim.  I have also sent a letter to CDA IM to find out if it will be possible to wear gloves next year if need be (I am not dropping that kind of money if I am screwed during the first event). 
I am going a little better, my vision is still having some serious issues (my right eye is just going nuts!), my lower back has finally settled and my shoulder is now within a tolerable range (so no pain pills, finally!)
My “Century” ride(that got lowered to a 34 miler a few weeks before ride day) did not go very well at all!!!  I brought my bike into the shop the day before to have something looked at (can’t remember what anymore) I thought I saw them check my tires. Well two miles into the ride my back tire was low on air and my CO2 canisters weren’t cutting it.  So I had to wait for the sag wagon.  It was actually a good thing I did. I got a lift to the fat tire stop (the only stop with a good service area) and this poor gentleman was kind of stranded.  We were at the off road stop and they didn’t have any road tubes, lucky for him I just so happened to have two (that were the size he was looking for), I gave him one and he was able to get back to riding, he was so happy! Eric (the sag chauffeur) was a really nice guy.  We got back out to the road and continued the ride.  Well, I started having issues.  Looking up was making me see spots and making my shoulder hurt, looking down made my vertigo kick in full force.  I stopped for a moment and when I started up again I fell over! I knew it was coming and all I could do was put my arm out and prepare for the impact! I got to the next rest stop not doing well, so I threw in the towel.  Low and behold the knight in shining moving truck arrived, saw me and said ‘you again?!!”  so I had to give him a hard time.  He offered to drop people off at the “Cheaters stop” so I figured what the heck, I will give the last stretch a shot.  I am glad I did.  My chain did pop off (that is what I brought my bike in for! I was having issues with my chain!), I jumped off my bike, put it back on and I was off within a minute.  I flew down the hill, up a little guy and made it to the finish area. I did a total of 20 miles.  I need to work on hydration (I was having issues), I don’t remember having blood sugar issues, so that is a good thing.  All in all I had fun.  I will be doing Ride for the Cure next month.  I have not decided my distance yet, but I can figure that on ride morning. 
Next week I will be starting to ride to work, I can’t wait! (this week is let my body get back to normal week, so I haven't even looked at anything [no pool, no running shoes, no bike, nothing!])


~If you hear that someone is speaking ill of you, instead of trying to defend yourself you should say: "He obviously does not know me very well, since there are so many other faults he could have mentioned"~

1 comment:

  1. so sorry you had a rough week! it'll get better, I promise! i'm doing slacker next sat. wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete