"Don't let the fat chick beat you"?

I have been racing for about 5 years now. I am not a typical runner or even triathlete. I fight with serious medical conditions every step of the way, but each step makes me stronger. I have two boys both with special needs and I have learned to chalk that up to making me stronger as well.


It is with sad heart that I must report that lupus has won the battle this year, but trust me when I say the war is far from over! My racing days are not over by any stretch of the imagination. This is just a minor setback that will make me stronger.

Monday, June 20, 2011

You have got to be kidding!

You have got to be kidding!

It would appear Ironman does not necessarily follow USAT’s guidance. 
We started off with this from IM:
Hello-
Thank you for your email. I am sorry to hear of your recent diagnosis and I wish you all the best.
Neoprene caps are permitted if worn under the swim caps we provide. Booties are permitted in water temperatures colder than 65 degrees. Gloves are NOT permitted.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Thank you and see you in Coeur d'Alene!

Lauren (last named removed per request)
Athlete Services Coordinator
Ironman Headquarters - 2701 North Rocky Point Drive
Suite 1250- Tampa, FL 33607
(p) 813-868-5920|(f) 813-868-5930
(skype) ironman.lauren
http://www.ironman.com/
Then this from USAT:

Hello Sammie,

We allow gloves to be used with a medical exception.  Simply bring a note from your doctor indicating your diagnosis.  You will not necessarily be asked to show it, but you should have it just in case  Print this email and keep it with your doctor's note.

Charlie Crawford | Commissioner of Officials | USA TRIATHLON
5825 Delmonico Dr | Colorado Springs, Colorado  80919 office and cell :: 334.332.9092 | fax :: 719.597.2121 | http://www.usatriathlon.org/

And this this from me to IM
Lauren,
I received an email from Charlie Crawford (Commissioner of Officials, USA Triathlon) stating they allow gloves to be used with a medical exception. Would this policy apply to Ironman? As directed by USAT I would have a letter from my doctor stating my condition and the reason for needing the gloves. I am hoping I would not need to wear them, but I can’t take the chance of needing them and not being able to use them.
Thanks again,

Hope you have a wonderful day!
Sammie

And then this from IM:
Hello-
Thank you for your email.
Gloves are NOT permitted.
Please attend the mandatory athlete meeting to speak with race officials directly. Ultimately, they are the only ones able to make the call.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Thank you and see you in Coeur d'Alene!

Lauren (last named removed per request)
Athlete Services Coordinator
Ironman Headquarters - 2701 North Rocky Point Drive
Suite 1250- Tampa, FL 33607
(p) 813-868-5920|(f) 813-868-5930
(skype) ironman.lauren
http://www.ironman.com/

All I can say is it is VERY disconcerting! These events are NOT cheap! But they still want me to sign up and talk to an official on race weekend to find out they may or may not follow USAT’s guidelines?  Seriously?  Not only are we talking about registration fees we also need to factor transportation costs, lodging, a SERIOUS amount of training!  I can’t not do something like that while flying by the seat of my pants, it does not work that way!
Any and all suggestions would be appreciated!



~If you hear that someone is speaking ill of you, instead of trying to defend yourself you should say: "He obviously does not know me very well, since there are so many other faults he could have mentioned"~

No comments:

Post a Comment