"Don't let the fat chick beat you"?

I have been racing for about 5 years now. I am not a typical runner or even triathlete. I fight with serious medical conditions every step of the way, but each step makes me stronger. I have two boys both with special needs and I have learned to chalk that up to making me stronger as well.


It is with sad heart that I must report that lupus has won the battle this year, but trust me when I say the war is far from over! My racing days are not over by any stretch of the imagination. This is just a minor setback that will make me stronger.

Thursday, June 2, 2011

One, two, three, BREATH!

No, I am NOT in labor!
 

Last night I finally made it to the pool again.  First I am excited to report I bought a new pair of ear plugs and they work amazingly!  Sadly, years ago I jumped into a pool in just that right way that the pressure against my ear ruptured my ear drum or channel (I can never remember which), anyway I thought it was cool because I could blow bubbles out my ear! Turns out it is not so cool! So now if I want to avoid massive ear problems I have to wear earplugs when I am swimming and yes, I wear them while I am racing too! Until recently I have purchased normal stick in the ear and go ear plugs, well they leak and they makes me cut my swim time short.  Then I came across some that had a funny shape to them so I figured I would give them a shot.  I doubt I got a drop of water in my ears last night, it was wonderful!
I was going to do a thorough workout, but then I remembered two minor facts #1 my back has been hurting really bad and I don’t want to piss it off further and #2 I have not been in the pool in a few months, so I figured a nice 1-miler would be fine.  As soon as I pushed off the wall and the water went rushing by I felt every muscle in my body start singing!  500 yards complete, everything feeling good.  Shoulder – find, back – fine, ok, time to continue.  Next 500 arms only (hey, I am a triathlete I am not supposed to swim with my legs!!!!), done, back – fine, shoulder – fine!  I figured I would throw my 300 in so I did just legs, after 100 yards my sister came in. I knew she had forgotten her cap and goggles and I just so happened to have two spare caps and the goggle that don’t work for me so I stopped and waited until she got in (we had to share a lane, which is a very uncommon practice at that pool), handed over the stuff, made a comment that she could not take the lane next to me (the guy was “finishing up”) because there has been someone waiting for a while.  Finished my last 200 of that set.  Made another comment to my sister about the lady waiting to get in the pool, the dude in the lane next to me was standing there stretching and really? There is someone waiting, it wouldn’t kill you to let her know that you are about done and she can get in, but did he NO!  Last 500, (my) normal freestyle.  One mile complete!  Took 45 minutes from start to finish, but that is including social breaks.  As I was getting out of the pool I stole a nice big gulp from my sister’s water bottle, I am sure she didn’t mind! J
As a good athlete I made sure I got some nice stretching in, while I was in the hot tub!!!!!! After stretching out everything I planted my tush right in front of a jet that was perfectly positioned to hit my lower back.  Last night was the first night that I did not have to put a heat pad on.  I might have to sneak out of the house early and get some nice swimming in before going to work.  I felt so amazing after my little bit of time in the pool. 
This afternoon I plan on trying to take my bike out while Cuero is at gymnastics, I will have to see if my bike will permit me or not. 


~If you hear that someone is speaking ill of you, instead of trying to defend yourself you should say: "He obviously does not know me very well, since there are so many other faults he could have mentioned"~

No comments:

Post a Comment