"Don't let the fat chick beat you"?

I have been racing for about 5 years now. I am not a typical runner or even triathlete. I fight with serious medical conditions every step of the way, but each step makes me stronger. I have two boys both with special needs and I have learned to chalk that up to making me stronger as well.


It is with sad heart that I must report that lupus has won the battle this year, but trust me when I say the war is far from over! My racing days are not over by any stretch of the imagination. This is just a minor setback that will make me stronger.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

House of Cards

I sort of admitted defeat when it comes to GoG 10-miler.  I still not an amazing gym session in on Saturday, Sunday I decided to sleep in.  Sunday evening my lower back decided I was ignoring it to much and it wanted some attention too!  I took the smart route, took half a pain pill and went to bed.  Monday morning I thought I was going to die!  I ended up grabbing my medicine box (yes, I have enough meds that they warrant a box) pulled out my muscle relaxers, took one, and went back to sleep.  Jose was wonderful and made sure the fur kids did not attack me to much and kept sending them outside.  Once Cuervo woke up he made sure I was getting whatever I need.  My sister came upstairs and started laughing at me because I was my normal off in la-la land mode. 
Later in the day my sister brought my mail up to me (she forgot to bring it in last week), I received something in the mail I have kind of been expecting.  And it got to me to thinking.  We all have choices in life.  We be a victim, we can be a survivor or we can say screw it and live life it its fullest. 
I can think of one particular individual who goes with choice A and all ways has.  We are all dealt cards in our life and sometimes they are ok, sometimes they are wonderful and sometimes they downright suck! I will agree this particular individual was not dealt the greatest cards, but they aren’t horrible.  Sadly, it is easier to be a victim. 
I am not going to say I was dealt a crappy hand (even though I do feel like it sometimes), but as with most people I didn’t get the greatest hand.  Luckily I have never been a poker player so it doesn’t matter to me if I get an Ace or a 2.  I am more of a go fish player or I build stuff with my cards.  The cards I have been dealt plus the support system I have, I can build an amazing card house!  I have endured trials and tribulations most of my life and have come to the conclusion it is what you take from the situation.  When I was 18 I was in a very abusive relationship, I was away from my family, but I sure found out who my friends were.  I also gain perspective on people in relationships like that (and worse), I always thought the abused wanted it because if they didn’t they would leave, it isn’t that easy!  Years later I was in another bad relationship not only did I find out how strong I was but how strong my support system was (and still is).  From that day I knew I would be fine.  I can trip, I can fall, I can do a face plant and I will always have people there to pick me up, dust me off and get me going again.
The strength my sister has is something I would hope everyone would strive for.  She has been responsible for my parents’ house since she graduated high school, the rest of us have enjoyed moving around and she stayed put.  Next thing she knew her kid sister and boys were moving in, then the discovery of her nephews being “special needs”, then the discovery of her sister have multiple debilitating diseases, and it goes on and on.  What does she do? ‘Ok, we will deal, we always have and we always will!’ The paperwork that I received yesterday she sat next to me and pointed out the positive side of it (I am sure I would have seen it had I not have been in la-la land) but she was there and we both got a good laugh out of it.  There have been times out of nowhere I went storming down to her area screaming how unfair things are and she just sits there and looks at me until I am done, asks if I am better and then agrees and tells me good night! When life throws my sister a curve ball she sets up a dunk tank so she can play in the water every time the balls hit the target!

The questions is what do you choose? Are you a victim? Are you a survivor? Or are you going to say screw it and live life to it’s fullest?



~If you hear that someone is speaking ill of you, instead of trying to defend yourself you should say: "He obviously does not know me very well, since there are so many other faults he could have mentioned"~

No comments:

Post a Comment