"Don't let the fat chick beat you"?

I have been racing for about 5 years now. I am not a typical runner or even triathlete. I fight with serious medical conditions every step of the way, but each step makes me stronger. I have two boys both with special needs and I have learned to chalk that up to making me stronger as well.


It is with sad heart that I must report that lupus has won the battle this year, but trust me when I say the war is far from over! My racing days are not over by any stretch of the imagination. This is just a minor setback that will make me stronger.

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

How?

Yesterday I was going so backwards it wasn’t even funny.  I forgot my Starbucks cup (hey, I say 10 cents plus it has a boxer on it), I forgot my work badge AND I forgot my iPod!  I should have just gone home and called it a day! I could have gone down to the gymlet during lunch to get my workout in, but with no iPod (or headphones) I just couldn’t bring myself to doing it.  I worked through lunch and after work headed off to class.  After class I went straight to 24 Hour Fitness (I had changed before leaving work!).  I got on the treadmill did a 5 minute warm up and then got down to business. As I was warming up I posted on Facebook the fact I was doing a 5 mile treadmill run with no music.  I was running 6 minutes and walking one (I am still working on getting my endurance up).  Below is the conversation that was going on (I posted one reply during a walking break and the rest was when I was sitting in my car before leaving the parking lot). 
‎5 mile treadmill run with no ipod :(
Sandra  How do you do it....Ugh.
Sammie I am at 24 where there is a lot of noise! The gymlet at work is to quiet!
Sandra  No how do you do all that exercise. I really so wanna buy my butt just doesn't get up. lol
Melissa  Good job...I HAVE to have my music to make my legs move.
Sammie  Total distance before cool down 5.4 miles. Sandra - find a local 5k about 2 - 3 months from now and start nice and slow (walk to the end of the block and back if need be). There are C25K (couch to 5k) programs that will take you nice and slow. Once you get moving you will find more stuff to do and you will start moving more and more!
Tammy Where are these C25K programs? I wanna try one! As u know I have never been able to learn how to run, but have always wanted too! :)
Sammie I think colorado running comapny is about to start one up (?) send me you email address and I will get you some info tomorrow
I got to thinking, why do I run/race, yes, I want to lose weight and look hot, whatever but it isn’t the main reason.  I started racing because I was told I couldn’t.  Then I found out that I have lupus and RA. Studies have shown that physical activity helps keep the symptoms at bay.  If I stop I will have admitted defeat and I just can’t afford to do that.  This is MY body, I am the boss, not the other way around.  I will listen to suggestions from my body, but it cannot dictate to me how I am going to live my life.
Today is World Lupus Day if you can find it in your heart to donate please do so, if you want to support me in my Walk for Lupus Now (click on Sponsor a walker and enter Sammie under the first name, My team is the “Lupie Butterflies”).
I hope everyone has a wonderful day (Oh, and I remembered my badge, cup and iPod today!)





~If you hear that someone is speaking ill of you, instead of trying to defend yourself you should say: "He obviously does not know me very well, since there are so many other faults he could have mentioned"~

No comments:

Post a Comment