"Don't let the fat chick beat you"?

I have been racing for about 5 years now. I am not a typical runner or even triathlete. I fight with serious medical conditions every step of the way, but each step makes me stronger. I have two boys both with special needs and I have learned to chalk that up to making me stronger as well.


It is with sad heart that I must report that lupus has won the battle this year, but trust me when I say the war is far from over! My racing days are not over by any stretch of the imagination. This is just a minor setback that will make me stronger.

Monday, May 9, 2011

Take 5 in the Garden

The last time I ran this race was back in 2007 and I only ran it as a 5K, this time I did the 5-miler.  The morning was beautiful! The temperature was amazing, I mean really, you couldn’t ask for better weather!  I got to the start about an hour before the race (I like being nice and early).  The parking lot was a good distance from the start (which was very understandable); busses were provided if you didn’t want to hoof the distance (less than 2 miles).  As we pulled up I noticed there were only 10 port-a-potties.  With more than a half hour before the race the port-a-potty line was already out to the road (not a good sign).  The race finally started.  Luckily they started putting a start line down so your time didn’t start until you crossed.  I have said time and time again, I suck at hills (which is part of the reason my goal was so slow), nearly the first mile was uphill so I walked the majority of it.  The temperature was raising and the sun was beating down.  Finally we got to go downhill, the 5K-ers split off and the 5-milers kept going downhill and then some uphill, I was getting thirsty. It a race, they have water stops, I didn’t bring my own water (STUPID mistake!).  I get to the first water stop and they were tearing it down, no water was left! I was not the last person there was still at least a dozen plus behind me.  I trudged back up the hill, saw Coach Judy, posed for a picture made it to the second water stop and waited in line for a few drops of water, it was enough to keep me going.  Continued up the hill and to the next turn around point and then towards the finish line.  The last downhill before the finish line was finally right in front of me and there was a gal who was a good distance ahead of me I decided I would beat her! I started picking up more and more speed, I beat her! Thank God my sister was at the finish line, all I could get out was ‘no water on course’ she handed me her water bottle and I started drinking!  I would have to say the only saving grace to the race is the scenery. 

The lack of port-a-potties and water seriously dropped it on my list.  There is no excuse for running out of water and even their site boasts of the number of runners and they only have 10 potties?  Not good!



~If you hear that someone is speaking ill of you, instead of trying to defend yourself you should say: "He obviously does not know me very well, since there are so many other faults he could have mentioned"~

No comments:

Post a Comment