"Don't let the fat chick beat you"?

I have been racing for about 5 years now. I am not a typical runner or even triathlete. I fight with serious medical conditions every step of the way, but each step makes me stronger. I have two boys both with special needs and I have learned to chalk that up to making me stronger as well.

It is with sad heart that I must report that lupus has won the battle this year, but trust me when I say the war is far from over! My racing days are not over by any stretch of the imagination. This is just a minor setback that will make me stronger.

Monday, May 9, 2011

Whirlwind Weekend

One of these weekends I will actually sit around and do nothing!  This weekend was definitely NOT one of those weekends!  It all really started on Friday night!
Friday I picked my kiddos up at school and brought them over to Grandma’s.  Ran downtown for packet pick-up came zooming home picked up my sister ran a few errands and came home.  Watched a movie with the puppies, to off to sleep.  Saturday morning started at 6:00 am YUCK!  My sister was complaining the whole time because she was heading out the door at 6:30 on a Saturday morning in work clothes! She is used to me making her get up early on Saturdays but work clothes???  I was a good sister I got her breakfast at Starbucks!  We got down to Garden of the Gods with plenty of time to spare.  We parked, took the bus to the start area and waited.  Finally the race started and off I went. (Race report to follow).  1:09:24 later I crossed the finish line, FYI that is faster than my 14:00 pace goal! We got back to the bus to return to the parking lot and I was stressing looking at the time every three seconds.  We finally made it to the parking lot, I RAN to my car (I need to pull some stuff out of my trunk) by the time my sister got to my car I was climbing in the front seat.  We went flying to the interstate and flew even faster down that.  We arrived at the North gate of the Air Force Academy with 5 minutes before the service is supposed to start, tell them where we are going and were told we need to use the South Gate, are you serious?? My boys were receiving their First Holy Communion and the service starts in less than 5 minutes and you want to me to go flying back down the interstate? Luckily the nice gate guard stopped traffic so I could pull a serious U-turn. Back up on the interstate going at least 80 (Bugs can fly!) get to the south gate, told them where I was going, told them where I was going and finally got to get on base.  I put my car on cruise control to ensure I don’t get pulled over for speeding.  We finally made it to the church, I dropped my sister off near the front while I went to park.  I still had my race attire on! I got right outside the front door, pulled on my dress pants over my running skirt (good thing I wear baggy stuff!) put my jacket on over my cute purple running shirt and walked VERY quickly into the church, believe it or not, the priest had just made it to the front!  My boys were looking very handsome, one was saving seat for me in his row while my other was sitting next to Grandma. (In my defense, I was signed up for this race months before we knew when this event was going to happen, plus this race is part of a series AND if the times were different I would have skipped the race or done it as just a 5K, but I had faith I would make it!)  I went up with my older son to get his First Communion and my dad went with my younger son.  It was a very nice event.  Afterwards there was a reception for the kids. I felt very blessed because not only did my boys get stuck with have me and my dad there, they also had my sister and my mom, my best friend from high school, and two more close friends of the family.  We all sat around for a while talking and just having a really good time!
We realized we were the last ones there so we decided it was time to head out.  The second I got out of the church my pants came off! Hey, my skirt was bunching up under the pants and it was very uncomfortable! Everyone went their own direction.  I had to go home and take a nap, the day had already been way to eventful and I was downright popped!
Sunday I had planned on sleeping in and then going for a bike ride prior to heading over to my mom’s house.  Yea, that didn’t happen.  I woke up feeling even worse than before, I still vote it is allergies (I know it is not sinuses), Jose was wonderful, he dealt with the puppies from about 6:30 on.  We started making hard boiled eggs and had an issue with that, but I won’t get into that.  The Cuervo decided to put on a presentation for me (threw a downright temper tantrum [there is very much a difference between a melt down and a tantrum, this was a tantrum]) for mother’s day we got my sister a Nerf Super Soaker.  After loading up all water guns we have in the house and shooting all four boys everyone was back to human and my sister and I was happy.  Poor Freddie wasn’t to impressed with getting shot, he actually hid behind me and then jumped into my arms so I could protect him (mind you he is about 60 pounds).  We finally made it to my mom’s and celebrated mother’s day and Freddie was a very well behave young man, Charlie stayed home on this trip.  We made it home after 6:00 and all I wanted to do was go to bed! Sadly it was so hot I couldn’t get to sleep until late. We have finished another weekend and it is time to start another work week!

~If you hear that someone is speaking ill of you, instead of trying to defend yourself you should say: "He obviously does not know me very well, since there are so many other faults he could have mentioned"~

No comments:

Post a Comment