"Don't let the fat chick beat you"?

I have been racing for about 5 years now. I am not a typical runner or even triathlete. I fight with serious medical conditions every step of the way, but each step makes me stronger. I have two boys both with special needs and I have learned to chalk that up to making me stronger as well.


It is with sad heart that I must report that lupus has won the battle this year, but trust me when I say the war is far from over! My racing days are not over by any stretch of the imagination. This is just a minor setback that will make me stronger.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Excuses!

21 February 2012.
As a mom of two preteen boys I am pretty sure I have heard every excuse in the book.  When I comes to training however there are a whole slew of excuses that I am sure we have all tried at some point in time.  Today my list of excuses are pretty good one and sadly they are legitimate.
1.     I am tired
2.    My back hurts
3.    I have an ear infection
4.    I have a head cold
5.    My knees are pissy
6.    My goggles leak
7.   
There will always be reasons why something can’t be done.  It takes true strength and determination to realize when they are just excuses and when they are reasons to take a day off. 
As for me today…
I’m tired. Really? It doesn’t matter what I do, I am always tired, it is a fact of life. It doesn’t matter if I stay in bed all day or go to the gym so I might as well go to the gym and be happy and tired!
My back hurts.  Ok, so don’t do something that makes it mad. Luckily I have found that spin class has no effect on my back.  Yea, my butt hurts but it was an awesome class. Some part of my body is always hurting, I have to decide what controls my life. 
I have an ear infection.  Ummmm, I am on antibiotics and there is a whole heck of a lot I can do about it.  When I am in the pool I wear ear plugs anyway. NEXT!
I have a head cold.  Ok, so bring tissues and make sure all the equipment is wiped down when done! Not hard.
My knees are pissy.  See above under my lower back hurts. 
My goggles leak.  I wanted to spend some time in the pool today.  Ok, so I only swam 100 meetings, but I wasn’t ready to get out.  So I kicked for a bit and when my knee informed me that was enough I stayed in the pool and ran for a while.
There will always be excuses and reasons not to train, and it takes a strong person to understand when it is an excuse that can (and most likely should be) be worked through. 
There is a quote I remind myself of when I am having rough days… I might have lupus. But it doesn’t have me!





~If you hear that someone is speaking ill of you, instead of trying to defend yourself you should say: "He obviously does not know me very well, since there are so many other faults he could have mentioned"~

No comments:

Post a Comment