"Don't let the fat chick beat you"?

I have been racing for about 5 years now. I am not a typical runner or even triathlete. I fight with serious medical conditions every step of the way, but each step makes me stronger. I have two boys both with special needs and I have learned to chalk that up to making me stronger as well.


It is with sad heart that I must report that lupus has won the battle this year, but trust me when I say the war is far from over! My racing days are not over by any stretch of the imagination. This is just a minor setback that will make me stronger.

Monday, May 10, 2010

Smoking on the Incline!

Saturday, a non-race day, I was up and out of bed before 5! I got dressed and out the door I went. The sun was still trying to figure out how to get out of bed, it was quiet and peaceful out. I got the Incline parking lot and was pleasantly surprised to see it was more than half empty. I got out, put my shoes on (I can’t go out the door with running shoes on or Charlie will get out the door and expect to go for a run!) and slowly started up the trail. I had to take it VERY slow. #1) I was still recovering from being sick and #2) this was my first time out this year. Once I got on the Incline (boy was I huffing and puffing) and stopped to enjoy the view. Please talk about going to your happy place, well, I have two and that is one of them! I would go 100 steps and take a breather, like I said, nice and slow. For the first time, I actually saw someone smoking on the incline! Turns out he was a reservist who had been activated and was trying to get back in shape. When I was a smoker, I was told by a doctor that while smoking you lungs will open up (it is to get as much of the chemicals in as possible) so I figured that why he was doing it. Nice guy, we chatted and he made it half way up! Anyway, I had planned on going all the way up, but again, this was my first time out this year so I went half way and ran down Barr Trail. At one point on the trail, there is a short little steep up hill and when I ran up it, I think my claves started to sing! It stretched them out nicely. I got to the bottom and felt great. I plan on heading out again next weekend, assuming my hip flexors forgive me! They are still a little sore today!


As far as Mother’s Day… I am sure my mother had a wonderful day! Since Mother’s Day is all about my mom, my sister and I are celebrating our Mother’s Day this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment