"Don't let the fat chick beat you"?

I have been racing for about 5 years now. I am not a typical runner or even triathlete. I fight with serious medical conditions every step of the way, but each step makes me stronger. I have two boys both with special needs and I have learned to chalk that up to making me stronger as well.


It is with sad heart that I must report that lupus has won the battle this year, but trust me when I say the war is far from over! My racing days are not over by any stretch of the imagination. This is just a minor setback that will make me stronger.

Friday, July 16, 2010

My baby girl


The end of last week through the early part of this week Carin has been indicating that she has been in pain. So, like a good mommy I went into the vet to find out what pain pills I can give her. As I should have expected they won’t give her anything with her blood test being done (she has kidney disease). So, like a good mommy I brought her in for her blood work the next morning (she had to fast). Last night I got a message from the vet saying her kidneys are getting worse.
Carin has been part of my family for six years now (15 Jun 04). I got her less than a month after returning from Iraq and I swear she is the reason I haven’t gone nuts. I have watched stuff and for whatever reason I will just completely broken down into tears and she, time and time again, has climbed into my lap and would not move no matter how many times I have told her I am fine. Or if there is something else going on in my life she is right there. During the winter she even climbs under my blankets to make sure my feet don’t get cold (isn’t that nice of her!). She is my baby girl. My boys look at her as their sister she is a family member.
I am waiting for the vet to call back to find out where we go from here. Since the first diagnosis Carin has been on a low protein diet, she eats Hills Prescription Diet k/d® Canine Renal Health with a shot of aluminum hydroxide and something yummy (like broccoli) mixed in. If she does not get her aluminum hydroxide mixed into her food then I get woken up in the middle of the night to change my sheets (Carin usually sleeps on my bed) because she peed and didn’t realize it. Luckily for me she is a huge fan of the veggies and oddly enough like me she can’t handle the sodium. Ok, I admit, she also LOVES popcorn and pretzels! But other than that she eats very healthy food. To add insult to injury she has been unintentionally losing weight (she has lost almost 10 pounds since her last visit a month or two ago).
Vet called and numbers have triple, bringing her into the vet.

1 comment: