"Don't let the fat chick beat you"?

I have been racing for about 5 years now. I am not a typical runner or even triathlete. I fight with serious medical conditions every step of the way, but each step makes me stronger. I have two boys both with special needs and I have learned to chalk that up to making me stronger as well.


It is with sad heart that I must report that lupus has won the battle this year, but trust me when I say the war is far from over! My racing days are not over by any stretch of the imagination. This is just a minor setback that will make me stronger.

Monday, July 12, 2010

The Ultimate Difficult Journey

This weekend has been a little hard. Starting on Friday I was in a not pleasant situation and my body did not deal with it very well. When I went to pick up my kiddos I had to have them help me down the stairs because it hurt too much to do it on my own.
Saturday I played the part of the strong supportive friend and trust me it was the hardest thing I have done in a long time. A close friend had to put her best friend of 13 years down and she was devastated. I told her I would go with her if she wanted and she took me up on my offer (I am glad she did, no one should have to go through that alone). I got to Jan’s house a little before 1:00 pm and Whistler was lounging on the front yard bark away at my arrival. Jan and I sat there for a good half hour letting Whistler pig out on snacks while loving on her. Finally Jan said it was time and puller her vehicle out of the garage and we loaded Whistler into the back (that puppy was heavy!). Solemnly we drove to the vet while Whistler enjoyed having the back window opened and checked out the scenery. When we got there Jan went in to get a tech to help carry Whistler in and I sat next to Whistler and scratched her ears and just made sure she knew she was loved. Jan came out a little while later with to techs carrying a stretcher. Whistler was carried in while acting like the Queen of Sheba! I hung around outside, did up the windows (sounded like we were in for a HUGE rain storm) and then sat in the waiting room. Hey! This is a personal time and I thought it be best I just stay out of the way and give them their time, well, Jan came out and asked if I would go in. I was fine until the pink liquid came in. Mind you, last year I had to go with my sister so we could put down our 18 year old friend who looked a lot like Whistler. Of course as Whistler took her last breath Jan’s water works were on full blast (do you blame her?). We managed to stay in there for a few moments and then Jan just had to leave. As we were waiting outside for the paw print this monster puppy went tromping by but stopped to say hi to Jan! I think that made her feel a little bit better. We continued on to Safeway and acted like complete idiots! We went in there for eggs and meds and walked out with almost $100 worth of groceries! Jan gave me a trunk full of doggy treats when we got back to her house. She seems to be doing ok, but I know it hurts. She now has an empty house. I called her on Saturday night to see how she was doing and she said her eyes are hurting so much she keeps taking naps! She knows Whistler was ready to go, but it doesn’t make it any easier.
Sunday was a much more enjoyable day. I promised to take the kiddos to Elitch Gardens this weekend and we normally do not go on Sundays, but this weekend we made an exception. We were there from the time the park opened at 10:00 until about 2:00 pm. Hitting the slides and the wave pool and the lazy man river and just having an all in all good time.
I got no formal training sessions in over the weekend, but I think I can count a good walk on Friday, weight lifting on Saturday and stairs/swimming on Sunday!






A PET'S TEN COMMANDMENTS.........


1. My life is likely to last 10-15 years. Any separation from you is likely to be painful.


2. Give me time to understand what you want of me.


3. Place your trust in me. It is crucial for my well-being.


4. Don't be angry with me for long and don't lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your friends, your entertainment, but I have only you.


5. Talk to me. Even if I don't understand your words, I do understand your voice when speaking to me.


6. Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget it.


7. Before you hit me, before you strike me, remember that I could hurt you, and yet, I choose not to bite you.


8. Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right food, I have been in the sun too long, or my heart might be getting old or weak.


9. Please take care of me when I grow old. You too, will grow old.


10. On the ultimate difficult journey, go with me please. Never say you can't bear to watch. Don't make me face this alone. Everything is easier for me if you are there, because I love you so.

No comments:

Post a Comment