"Don't let the fat chick beat you"?

I have been racing for about 5 years now. I am not a typical runner or even triathlete. I fight with serious medical conditions every step of the way, but each step makes me stronger. I have two boys both with special needs and I have learned to chalk that up to making me stronger as well.


It is with sad heart that I must report that lupus has won the battle this year, but trust me when I say the war is far from over! My racing days are not over by any stretch of the imagination. This is just a minor setback that will make me stronger.

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Words

I have to vent for a moment.
Most of the time I can either ignore what people say or I use it to better me (please see title and description of this blog). But there are some things that can not only get under my skin but stays under my skin and all I can do is bite my tongue. I am sorry, but I have to let it out here!
First let me make it VERY clear that I would be lost without my parents. I love them both very much but sometimes they do not understand the power of what they are saying. Growing up my mom and I were like oil and vinegar.
About 14 years ago, I came home and my mom asked what my plans were for that evening. I remaindered her I had a band concert; she informed me she wasn’t going because they were never any good anyway. I understand that the early concerts were painful, fine, this was not one of the early concerts. I was the type of person you could give me an interment, give me two weeks and I could play like most people do after YEARS of practice. Within six months of starting violin I decided to try out for the local youth sympathy orchestra and made it (I played the Hungarian Folk Dance)! The school I was going to even managed to secure me a scholarship and my mom decided I was not permitted to do it (she knew I was trying out, maybe she thought I wasn’t going to make it, who knows). She made it very clear to me that my music was a waste of time – I had wanted to go to Marymount Manhattan after high school. Then a couple of years ago we were driving around and she asked me why I gave up my music, EXCUSE ME? I thought we were going to get in an accident! I muttered something like ‘it was nothing but a waste of time’ trying to keep the sarcasm out of my voice.
I get about the same support with my races. My sister on the other hand, no matter how unsure I am about an upcoming race I have my sister there to encourage me (even if she might think I can’t do it, she NEVER tells me).
Oh and since I am ranting anyway, I also enjoyed a Christmas a few years back when I was laying on the floor playing with my puppy and my dad told me I looked like a beached whale (I had returned from Iraq, injured and was unable to really exercise so I had packed on a decent amount of weight). By the way, my dad is NOT a small person!

No comments:

Post a Comment