"Don't let the fat chick beat you"?

I have been racing for about 5 years now. I am not a typical runner or even triathlete. I fight with serious medical conditions every step of the way, but each step makes me stronger. I have two boys both with special needs and I have learned to chalk that up to making me stronger as well.


It is with sad heart that I must report that lupus has won the battle this year, but trust me when I say the war is far from over! My racing days are not over by any stretch of the imagination. This is just a minor setback that will make me stronger.

Thursday, April 21, 2011

10 more days!

Yesterday between work and Weight Watchers I managed to get a second workout in. I had planned on doing an additional three miles but I got out of work later than I had expected so I had to settle with 1.5.  I wanted to get weights in so I did ½ mile then a set of weights. Before I knew it was supposed to be at my meeting and I had only finished my upper body and 1.5 miles, put my mileage yesterday to a little over 5 miles.  I felt great! Since I was the only one in the gymlet I had the chance to think.  The past year has been pretty rough, but I have made it through with my head held up high.  Winning that entry into the Colorado Marathon made my entire month!  It was four years when I ran my very first full marathon and it was the Colorado Marathon. I went back the following year to complete my 5th marathon in a 12 month period (hey, it squeaked in by one day so it counts!). Due to my race schedule last year (and injuries) I was not able to run it. This year I really wanted to but it sold out to fast.  This weekend I have an 8 miler on the books, but I think it will be bumped up to a 10 miler, but I have been putting in some good miles on hills, plus I have 5 hours to finish.  A participant has 6 hours to complete the marathon and 5 hours to complete the half marathon. Walkers are welcome. No baby strollers or wheeled conveyances are allowed.” I would have almost 23 minutes per mile!!!!  I think I will do just fine! Because I am coming off the crud my plan is to do a nice run/walk I am thinking 4/1, but I am not sure yet. I will see how my runs go between now and then.
Tonight I am on full mommy duty “Mom! I have a science project due tomorrow!” We are doing the egg in the bottle experiment! We are going to see how small of an opening the bottle can have while keeping the egg intact! We are also going to see what happens when the egg still has its shell!!! Tomorrow I am taking a ME day! I plan on hitting Pikes Peak after dropping my boys off, going to lunch with a friend and who knows what else!
Saturday is another run in Garden of the Gods – gotta love hills!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment