"Don't let the fat chick beat you"?

I have been racing for about 5 years now. I am not a typical runner or even triathlete. I fight with serious medical conditions every step of the way, but each step makes me stronger. I have two boys both with special needs and I have learned to chalk that up to making me stronger as well.

It is with sad heart that I must report that lupus has won the battle this year, but trust me when I say the war is far from over! My racing days are not over by any stretch of the imagination. This is just a minor setback that will make me stronger.

Monday, April 25, 2011

What a day off!

On Friday I took a much needed “ME” day.  Thursday night was filled with “Mommy, my science project is due tomorrow!” Friday morning we slept in until 6 (I know, talk about late!). The boys were funny, when I woke up Jose I head “but you said we would get to sleep in” ‘Babe, it is 6:00’ “oh”.  Cuervo, on the other hand (always takes his shower first)… ‘baby, time to wake up’ “Tyler can go first” ‘sweetie, he has already taken his shower’ “oh, fine, I’m getting up” Once we were finally out the door we had to make a few stops, I even bought them breakfast.  Dropped them off where they need to be and off to Manitou I went! I found a parking spot, paid my $5 and, for once, started at the VERY bottom of the Incline! About an hour later I finished my first mile of the day! Once I finally made it to the top I took a few moments to enjoy the view and a snack.  Then it was time to head back down.  Once I got to the trail I was able to run most of the way down, but getting to the trail can be a little dangerous (I slept once, but didn’t get hurt). One the way down my knee buckled backwards a couple of times but I was fine.  Got to the bottom of the trail and then it was time to get to my car which was about another ¼ of a mile of downhill.  As soon as I got to my car I chugged 2 bottles of OJ and ate a Rice Crispy Treat (hey, it is what I keep in my trunk) and headed back to town.  I had no blood sugar issues so YAY!!!! I swung by the house got changed and went and had lunch with a friend.  All in all I would say it was a wonderful day off!
Saturday was group run day.  It was chilly, but I had a thick shirt on, some sleeves and a jacket.  I found out that the Incline kicked my butt more than I thought it had (oh, my legs!!!!) and the crud in my chest isn’t a cleared up as I had thought.  I only completed a little over half of the miles I had planned on doing.  I was walking hills but when I got to the top I could not catch my breath, I was unable to take a good deep breath in.  Since I do have a long run next weekend (I am not calling it a race because I am not racing it) I didn’t want to push myself to hard.  I was happy with the miles I got in. Sunday before starting Easter activities I was going to try to get a few more miles in, but my legs were so sore it wasn’t even funny! (oops, felt good though).
This week, I will put some good miles in the first half of the week, the second half is rest time!
Pictures from my day off:
Coming back down the trail

Looking up the incline (you can't see there is even more that you can't see)

Looking east (you can see the lower part of the Incline)

At the top of the Incline looking down on the city)

Getting ready to come down the trail

Coming down the trail

No comments:

Post a Comment