"Don't let the fat chick beat you"?

I have been racing for about 5 years now. I am not a typical runner or even triathlete. I fight with serious medical conditions every step of the way, but each step makes me stronger. I have two boys both with special needs and I have learned to chalk that up to making me stronger as well.


It is with sad heart that I must report that lupus has won the battle this year, but trust me when I say the war is far from over! My racing days are not over by any stretch of the imagination. This is just a minor setback that will make me stronger.

Friday, April 15, 2011

The Best Laid Plans

Yesterday I had Mommy duties during my lunch break so I figured, not a big deal, the boys have their activities in the evening, I will get my training in then. Until I got a phone call letting me know Jose got hurt. I love my mom but she has no medical knowledge. She said Jose hurt his finger, my first question… what does it look like? She hands the phone to him so he can explain to me.


‘Which hand?’


“The one I write with”


‘So your left?’


“Yes”


‘Which finger?’


“My pointer.”


‘Which part?’


“All of it!”


‘Is it swollen?’


“Yes”


‘Is it straight?’


“No, I can’t bend it”


‘Let me speak to Grandma’… ‘Is his finger straight?’


“No, it looks like a hook”


‘Is it in alignment?’


“ummm, I don’t know”


‘What color is it?’


“Finger colored. Should I bring him to you?”


‘Yes please, if you don’t mind!’


10 minutes later I am down stair looking at his finger and speaking to the doctor’s office. Well, our doctor is out of the office until sometime next week. His finger was nicely swollen, the closer to the tip the more purple it got, it was bent but could be straightened (causing a lot of pain), for the most part it was in alignment. Was it broken? Dr. Mom says no. But the nurse said because of the color change I should bring him to Urgent Care to make sure there are no blood circulation issues. So, I went back upstairs, told my supervisor what was going on, grabbed my stuff and headed out. I thanked my mom for helping out (I don’t know what I would do without that woman!) and off to Urgent Care we went. Got in, there was one child out of control running back and forth (I think there was a mental disorder) but mom was doing nothing about it, she was just sitting there watching TV. Then a bigger baby (18 months[ish]) was raising holy hell and poor Jose was trying to read, ignore the pain and ignore the baby scream; he wasn’t having much luck. Cuervo made buddies with the child running back and forth and they sat at a table and played quietly (I love my kids!). Finally it was our turn to head back, Cuervo bet that Jose had fractured/broken his finger, I bet is was sprained/strained and Jose bet it was bruised. I kept saying we need to amputate and the nurse thought we were a really fun family! I have to say, we never take anything to seriously, if we did we would all die of heart attacks at an early age or being fighting with ulcers all the time, not worth it! Long story short, he managed to sprain his finger, we didn’t get out of there until after their activities were over (and I think at that point Jose just wanted to go home) so my miles did not happen!


To make life even more entertaining Freddie thought it was necessary to make the bathroom sink overflow and pretend like nothing happened at 1:00 this morning so I got up to deal with that and couldn’t get back to sleep for another 2 hours. I don’t think I am getting my miles in today either because my cough is hitting even harder, but I will drag my butt out of bed tomorrow and at least get something in, not sure how far, but I will be out there making an effort!

Saturday starts recovery week, I think this week was more of a recovery week, but whatever.
For those of you who will be running Boston this coming week… Good luck and I hope you win! J

No comments:

Post a Comment