"Don't let the fat chick beat you"?

I have been racing for about 5 years now. I am not a typical runner or even triathlete. I fight with serious medical conditions every step of the way, but each step makes me stronger. I have two boys both with special needs and I have learned to chalk that up to making me stronger as well.


It is with sad heart that I must report that lupus has won the battle this year, but trust me when I say the war is far from over! My racing days are not over by any stretch of the imagination. This is just a minor setback that will make me stronger.

Monday, April 16, 2012

Toys!

16 Apr 12

I am not sure how runners/triathletes survived all those years ago.  I mean, when I first started running there was no such thing as an iPod!  Ok, when I first started running seriously anything over a half a mile was just plain straight out stupid! I was a sprinter, give me a break! When I started going further distances I had a nifty little Walkman!  But really I didn’t run with it often, then there was the diskman which really wasn’t conducive for running because the CD would skip.  Six years ago I got my grubby little hands on my very first iPod, ok, it was my sister’s but she was nice enough to share!  We have always had watches, and now we have GPS watches that can do all but do the running for you!  Heart rate monitors, moisture wicking clothes…

People complain about how boring running is without music, which by the way is against USAT regulations (the running with music part, they could care less if you find it boring).  On a treadmill I completely agree with this, on the trails it is easier to go without the music.  The bike, I will wear headphones on a spin bike and only a spin bike.  Once I am on my road bike forget it, it is way too much of a safety hazard.  To me it that isn’t a huge deal.  Now, what really needs music is swimming!  I have tried singing while I swim, but I almost drown! Thanks to H2O Audio that has been solved.  They have made this fabulous little thingy that you can put an iPod in and go swimming!  Now, you can’t just jump in the pool and you are good to go. Once you get everything situated you can start rocking you swim! 

Every time I head out to the pool I have my handy swim bag with me.  Ok, yes, if you want to be frugal you can get away with just a swim suit.  But then your eyes get all red and the chlorine in your hair, and blah, blah, blah.  So I took a long hard look at my swim bag… I have my swim fins, Forearm Fulcrums, swim paddles, lap counter, GPS watch, Swim cap (or two), goggles, my H2O Audio thingy (which you can get cheaper at amazon.com), my little towel thingy.  Oh, and of course my swim workout book, pages are water proof and has a whole bunch of workouts listed.  Do I really need all this stuff??? Yea, I do!  Of course I do!

Today’s gym visit was wonderful!  I had some wardrobe issues while on the treadmill so I only did 30 minutes, I got lower body weight session in and the I decided it was time to try to drown myself in the pool, not really.  I enjoyed a comfortable mile in the pool.  My shoulder didn’t act up which made me so happy!

Tomorrow the goal is treadmill with upper body weights and then spin class.





~If you hear that someone is speaking ill of you, instead of trying to defend yourself you should say: "He obviously does not know me very well, since there are so many other faults he could have mentioned"~

No comments:

Post a Comment