"Don't let the fat chick beat you"?

I have been racing for about 5 years now. I am not a typical runner or even triathlete. I fight with serious medical conditions every step of the way, but each step makes me stronger. I have two boys both with special needs and I have learned to chalk that up to making me stronger as well.


It is with sad heart that I must report that lupus has won the battle this year, but trust me when I say the war is far from over! My racing days are not over by any stretch of the imagination. This is just a minor setback that will make me stronger.

Friday, May 7, 2010

Fickle!

As most endurance athletes can attest to, we are very fickle about the products we use (right down to our underwear sometimes). I personally am an Under Armour, Nike, CWX type of gal. Now, when I first started racing 3 years ago I bought myself a pair of Oakleys. Over the past 3 years I have abused them every way possible and they kept loving me and treated me well. Sadly, I recently put them into retirement (the lenses are scratched beyond all get out, the frame has been bent a million and one times). I bought myself a pair of Half Jackets when I walked out of the store I put them on and fell in love. Last night I did my hill training (good thing about living here, no matter where I go, I have no issues finding a hill!) and the weather was a little off (springtime in the Rockies) the glasses were great. They did fog up when I finally finished, but I did not have any issues while I was running.

As far as the run went last night. I did 3 miles, still trying to take it a little easy. I did my warm up with Kiddo #2 and then went to hills and then a nice cool down. I wanted to take a picture of the weather I was running in and apparently Kiddo #2 wanted me to take a picture of him. Don’t ask!

Due to insane Thursday nights, I think we are going to officially make Thursday “Subway night”. I am working with Kiddo #1 on how to make better decisions (I do not want him to fight the same weight battle as everyone else in my family). So we looked to see what the lower calorie subs were and he picked a Black Forrest Ham and put spinach on it. I was so proud of him. Ok, he also had 2 cookies, but we are not going to change him over night.
Tomorrow I am planning on hitting the incline in place of my “35 minute fartlek” run, no iPod, no Garmin, nothing. I am just going to go and enjoy a good, hard workout. Sunday, my Mother’s Day gift to myself will be a nice run before going to a Mother’s Day brunch for my mom (I really do hate brunches).

1 comment:

  1. Hey girl! Thanks for visiting my blog! I appreciate the comments on the Colorado Marathon, I can't wait to make it my first marathon too!

    I'm going shopping tomorrow to buy some warm clothing, cuz I know it's going to be freezing at the start.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete