"Don't let the fat chick beat you"?

I have been racing for about 5 years now. I am not a typical runner or even triathlete. I fight with serious medical conditions every step of the way, but each step makes me stronger. I have two boys both with special needs and I have learned to chalk that up to making me stronger as well.

It is with sad heart that I must report that lupus has won the battle this year, but trust me when I say the war is far from over! My racing days are not over by any stretch of the imagination. This is just a minor setback that will make me stronger.

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Why am I up and running at 4:30?

Coach Charlie was nice this morning. He got me up at around 4:20 and then took me for a 4.16 mile run. I mean most fur coaches would make their people sleep but Coach Charlie is not like most fur coaches!
My alarm went off at 4:00, Charlie came charging in, but I wasn’t done sleeping yet. So I hit snooze, I know he stood there and stared at me for a moment before leaving again. 4:10 BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! Where is that stupid.. Oh! Found the stupid snooze button, crap, Charlie is back. ‘Charlie, give me one more beep.’ At which point he made himself comfortable on my bed (Carin was somewhere else). BEEP! Charlie got between and the alarm, he was not going to let me roll over again! So I sat up, turned the light on and Charlie did his normal good morning routine, sitting next to me/on me, leaning up against me flip his head back to say hi. Charlie is still learning the meaning of ‘move, I gotta pee’, he still thinks that means get even more comfortable. Once I get back from the bathroom I have both Charlie and Carin sitting on my bed staring at me. Trust me, getting dressed with this going on, not easy (I had my running stuff on my bed. I finally got dress, Charlie has his flashing collar on (hey, it was still dark out!), I had my reflective vest on (my mom was asking me yesterday if I wore something reflective when I go out for this dark runs; yes mom, both Charlie and I make sure we are visible and even though we have the little cross walk guy telling us we can cross, we check traffic). We had a nice uneventful run, we saw two whole people! Once we got to the top of our street, I took Charlie off leash (as usual), and we started running down the street. Usually he is all over the place, but never behind me, today if I put my hand down next to my side, it would be on his head! I kept telling him ‘good with me’. I have no idea why he decided it was necessary to run right next to me, but today he did. As soon as we got home, I woke up my boys (my sister was about to come up and wake them up, but I beat her!). After my boys were up (trust me, they were not awake) I heard Kiddo #2 screaming at Charlie to get out of the tub and to stop drinking his bath water.
Long story short – nice cool run, felt great! I need to turn my 4am alarm off tomorrow morning or Charlie will think it is time to go! Tomorrow is a rest day.

No comments:

Post a Comment