"Don't let the fat chick beat you"?

I have been racing for about 5 years now. I am not a typical runner or even triathlete. I fight with serious medical conditions every step of the way, but each step makes me stronger. I have two boys both with special needs and I have learned to chalk that up to making me stronger as well.


It is with sad heart that I must report that lupus has won the battle this year, but trust me when I say the war is far from over! My racing days are not over by any stretch of the imagination. This is just a minor setback that will make me stronger.

Thursday, May 6, 2010

MRS

No, I am not getting married (I am still holding out for my Mr. Perfect), I am talking about meal replacement shakes. I am leaving for San Diego in 28 days (not that I am counting) and this weight is NOT coming off. So I figured I would give Slim Fast a shot. The whole idea behind it is a shake for breakfast, a healthy snack (100 calories), a shake for lunch, a healthy snack (100 calories), a “sensible” meal for dinner (500 calories) and a healthy snack (again, 100 calories) total daily caloric intake is approximately 1200 calories. Now, I am still drinking my Starbucks which is about 180 calories (not counted in any of the snacks above), if I am doing a tough workout I will have an additional snack (such as string cheese) and not stress about it. My water intake is just fine (I have to pee every 5 minutes!). On a good note I have become very meticulous with my dinners, the other night I made “Mexican Cornbread” and I made sure I measured out everything so I knew exactly how much I could have. I had two muffins and 2 servings of broccoli and cheese (my biggest weakness)! And I stayed within my allotted amount of calories. The thing I am worried about is on Sunday we are taking my mom to a Sunday brunch (I never like those) I need to make sure I am very good (and get a long hard run in before we go!).
The last week has been a little rough, Kiddo #2 had a serious issue (medical) and that put a cramp in a lot of plans. Then I got sick (laryngitis due to all my coughing). Last night Kiddo #2 locked my keys in my car and I did not have my spare anywhere near me (we were at Grandma’s house), so the workouts have been a little slim, but when I am able to get them in they are very enjoyable. I got my lunch time workout in and it felt sooooooo good. I did a 10 minute sllllooooowwwww walk on the treadmill as a stretch, then I did 1 mile as a “warm-up” at a slow but comfortable pace (I am still coughing a little, not too bad, but it is still affecting my breathing) then I hit the weights. My poor Nike+ Mini isn't picking up on it becuase of issues. She is sitting there playing a video game! Going up the stairs this morning my thighs were screaming at me! Yup, it was a good workout!!!!!!
Yesterday we had a potluck (#1 as a vegetarian I hate those things, even the salads come with meat; #2 doing the whole Slim Fast thing it was even more painful – but I did survive, I went to the gymlet!). I had signed up last week to bring something, so even though I wasn’t partaking in the potluck I brought something. Wit
h hands seriously full yesterday morning I did not get my walking up the stairs in at my usual time, but I did get it in after my workout. So, my 30 day challenge is going nicely. I have not had any sodas (I do still have an occasional Canada Dry – but that is sparkling water), my Starbucks have contently been a grande with no issues, and I have been pretty good about going up the stairs once a day and down twice.

No comments:

Post a Comment