"Don't let the fat chick beat you"?

I have been racing for about 5 years now. I am not a typical runner or even triathlete. I fight with serious medical conditions every step of the way, but each step makes me stronger. I have two boys both with special needs and I have learned to chalk that up to making me stronger as well.


It is with sad heart that I must report that lupus has won the battle this year, but trust me when I say the war is far from over! My racing days are not over by any stretch of the imagination. This is just a minor setback that will make me stronger.

Friday, October 8, 2010

Headed in the right direction?

Yesterday afternoon I went for my annual checkup with my primary doc. She has finally got me on meds for the lupus(?), I will be getting an x-ray of my back to see “how much arthritis” I have in my back, I really wished she had said “if” instead of “how much” cause quite frankly I am too young to have arthritis! Since she is pretty sure she won’t see what all is needed in the x-ray the next step will be an MRI. She is sure I have a connective tissue disease/auto-immune disease, she is still leaning towards lupus, but she wants to run more tests and I go back on the 27th at which point I will ask to see a rheumatologist. She was happy to hear that I backed out of New York (I am still upset about that one), but she thinks as long as I take it gently I will be ok to do my next race.
On the subject of races, I will not be doing Pawtober Fest this weekend, my shoulder has been to mad at me. While at physical therapy the PT doc asked what I was planning for this weekend and I told him a 7-milers and a 14-miler. He asked me to please take it easy this weekend. As much as I am sitting here grumbling about it, I think I will take Saturday off and see about a short easy run on Sunday (ok, might hit the incline go up slowly and come back down the trail slowly) – depending on how I feel! This week will be chalked up to a recovery week and I will start again on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment