"Don't let the fat chick beat you"?

I have been racing for about 5 years now. I am not a typical runner or even triathlete. I fight with serious medical conditions every step of the way, but each step makes me stronger. I have two boys both with special needs and I have learned to chalk that up to making me stronger as well.


It is with sad heart that I must report that lupus has won the battle this year, but trust me when I say the war is far from over! My racing days are not over by any stretch of the imagination. This is just a minor setback that will make me stronger.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

I survived another visit to PT!

Well, PT went better than expected! I was not told to get on the hand bike, I was not lectured, I was not tortured (to much). My PT doc is a little worried about this slip back and the fact that when he tested my strength I was half of what I was when I started! I told him it was because I went swimming yesterday! I am sticking to that one! He asked about RA and I reminded him my doc was thinking more like lupus; either way, not good!
I found a website about marathon cross training. I am hoping my shoulder starts liking me again soon, but I am not going to sit still until it does! I think I will be looking at the cycling idea for a few days and see where I am at. Obviously, I will not be getting anywhere near the areo position!

Marathon cross training is a great way to stay in shape should you need to take time off from running due to an overuse injury or if the weather does not allow you to run. If the weather is bad and you have access to a treadmill, then you should run on the treadmill. Following are some great marathon or half marathon cross training exercise for marathon training. Remember though, running is by far the most beneficial exercise when training for a marathon. You should not expect to be able to finish a marathon by just cross training.
The big difference is these exercises eliminate the constant pounding your legs experience by running. Just use these exercises as needed due to injury or bad weather.
Marathon cross training is a great way to maintain conditioning during injury recovery.
• Cycling
Cycling is great because it works your legs and cardiovascular system while taking away the constant pounding your legs experience while running. This is a great exercise to use if you experience shin splints and need to take time off from running. To determine how long you need to cycle, multiply the estimated running time for the day’s training by 1.5 and cycle for that amount of time in place of the run. Stretch after the exercise just as you would after a run.

http://www.marathonrookie.com/marathon-cross-training.html


I go back to my normal doc later this week and then back to PT on Friday! Hopefully I am headed back in the right direction!

No comments:

Post a Comment