"Don't let the fat chick beat you"?

I have been racing for about 5 years now. I am not a typical runner or even triathlete. I fight with serious medical conditions every step of the way, but each step makes me stronger. I have two boys both with special needs and I have learned to chalk that up to making me stronger as well.


It is with sad heart that I must report that lupus has won the battle this year, but trust me when I say the war is far from over! My racing days are not over by any stretch of the imagination. This is just a minor setback that will make me stronger.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The waiting game

My shoulder was feeling a little bit better yesterday, that was until I went for my one stop shopping at x-ray and the lab! They took somewhere around 20 shots of my neck, back and shoulder. I got called back, I was told to undress from the waste up and put the gown on opening to the back (you gotta love hospital gowns!), I went in and she started positioning me, moved my hair and told me I had to remove my earrings! Mind you, my ears have a ton of piercings in them but I do not wear earrings in my lower holes. I have an industrial, my helix, tragus and daith all done! I wanted my rook done, but I have to many blood veins so it can’t be done! Then I told her when she does my shoulder I will have one more to remove, I thought the poor woman was going to have a heart attack! I went in there in my work clothes (professional), ok I did have my flip flops on (I rarely wear my work shoes outside of work). When she came to take a x-ray of the top of my spine she asked if I had my tongue pierced, I used to! Yes, I am a little bit of a wild child! I have five tattoos and I plan on getting a few more! For the record though, one of them is Betty Boop on a 1940 style bicycle, wearing a 1940 style swimsuit and running shoes!!!! I got her for my triathlons and when I have earned my M dot tattoo, she gets one too! All of my tattoos are covered (for the most part) when I am at work. While I am doing all this Jose is walking from school (it is only one big block away). I get back into the dressing room and I shoot Jose a text letting him know I am getting dressed and he replies he is outside. I walk out of the dressing room and there he is sitting quietly and patiently! We go a few feet to the lab and he starts helping me put all the jewelry back into my ears (I took care of the other one all by myself, thank you very much!), I get called back just as we were trying to put one in. They stole four tubes of blood from me! Don’t they know I need that blood too? The nice lab lady said most of the labs will be done that night. I really hope I get good news. Ok, I hope they figure out what is going on and it is good news; I know, I am picky. It feels like today will be another bike day (maybe a walk), but that is ok. I am training for a fun race! I WILL listen to my body this time around and I will cross the finish line without being in tears from pain.


Hourglass image obtained from http://api.ning.com/files/yesER6QmymDkMh9yNC1SWWXeDaMxbty2QY-XZ1vOOUvwPcXA4OX3-b6IEThAXM8dglKJ5MrMfFHthPhm5vWGVVXcepnY3jHm/hourglass1.jpg

2 comments:

  1. Great post.

    Great attitude.

    YAY for a "fun" race!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I love that you have a Betty Boop tattoo in running shoes on a bike IN a swimsuit. Go triathlon!

    Cheers to good news for ya!

    ReplyDelete