"Don't let the fat chick beat you"?

I have been racing for about 5 years now. I am not a typical runner or even triathlete. I fight with serious medical conditions every step of the way, but each step makes me stronger. I have two boys both with special needs and I have learned to chalk that up to making me stronger as well.


It is with sad heart that I must report that lupus has won the battle this year, but trust me when I say the war is far from over! My racing days are not over by any stretch of the imagination. This is just a minor setback that will make me stronger.

Friday, October 15, 2010

Self Assessment

I am still waiting for answers, this sucks. I know they had my x-rays back on Wednesday, and the lab said most of the results are less than a 24 hour turn around. I have an appointment on the 27th but that is over a week and a half away (and if it is anything other than ‘you are perfectly healthy’ I don’t want to hear it on my birthday!). “The results are sitting on the doctor’s desk and blah, blah, blah” Get them off the doctor’s desk and tell me what the hell is going on! Sorry, this is really getting to me! I will know my x-ray results this afternoon because I told the doc’s office that my PT wants a copy (well, he does!) luckily I see him this afternoon.
I am going to try to head out for some miles this weekend. If I was the whole way, fine! I plan on taking it nice and easy, if I can run a little bit without hurting I will do so. I just have to get out and get moving, the stationary bike SUCKS! According to my training schedule I have 7 miles on Saturday and 10 miles on Sunday. I will do what I can and not worry about the rest, if I need to down grade my training plan I will. I am not going to kill myself just to get my miles in. If need be I will train to WALK the races. It is all about having fun.
On a sort of unrelated note, it is Self Assessment time at work. One of my greatest qualities is my attitude/personality. I am always happy go lucky and willing to help anyone and everyone. This past year, Jose has been in the ER twice, urgent care twice, a ton of other things going on. Cuervo has been to urgent care once, had a run in with the cops/paramedics/firemen. My grandfather passed away. I found out there is a very good chance I have lupus, my back went nuts (right in the middle of trying to get a proposal out), my baby girl (canine) died… The list goes on and on, yet somehow I have managed to keep my happy go lucky façade at work even though all I really want to do is break down and cry or scream or tell certain individuals where to shove it! My supervisor (officially she has no right being a supervisor, but my official supervisor has put her in that position) didn’t even realize I was even in any pain when my back went out until I called her and told her I had been put on bed rest until further notice (most of my co-workers saw/commented how stiff I was). I do have to say, this woman is very oblivious about what is going on unless it directly affects her. I understand that is how some people are, I am just not that way. I also have the ability of getting stuff done fast because I have gotten to know people and they are more often than not more than happy to help me. My work signature block quote says Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle ~James M. Barrie you also never know when you might need their help! Plus it is just plain better to be nice to people!

2 comments:

  1. Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.....

    .......printed and taped to my computer. No joke. My favorite quote in a LOOOOONG time. Thank you.

    Wishing you a great weekend. Take it easy. Thinking of you from AZ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feels weird going up to Denver without you buddy. Not going to be the same. Haven't decided if I'm going to drop down to the half yet. I feel good, but I want to have fun at the race not kill myself. Post of the race to follow on Monday. Hope all goes well for you!

    ReplyDelete