"Don't let the fat chick beat you"?

I have been racing for about 5 years now. I am not a typical runner or even triathlete. I fight with serious medical conditions every step of the way, but each step makes me stronger. I have two boys both with special needs and I have learned to chalk that up to making me stronger as well.


It is with sad heart that I must report that lupus has won the battle this year, but trust me when I say the war is far from over! My racing days are not over by any stretch of the imagination. This is just a minor setback that will make me stronger.

Monday, October 18, 2010

Waiting and Training and Waiting and...

At this point in time I am only get tidbits of information. I went to PT and luckily he needed my x-rays so I was able to get the results from him and it is a good thing he is as cute as he is otherwise I would have thrown something at him! My x-rays looked good, bones are good, spacing of my vertebra are all good. In the same breath he said he didn’t expect to see anything with just an x-ray. Then why waste my insurance on them? Talk about frustrating! But I am happy with those results, that means no arthritis!
I spent the majority of the weekend, again, sleeping in and taking everything slow and not even really looking at my running shoes. I did think about the fact I was laying in bed being completely lazy while the Denver marathon was off and going, then I fell asleep again! I did find out that lupus flair ups are even worse one week prior to that time of month, which would explain a lot! This morning when I got out of bed I felt so much better! I have energy, I still have a little bit of pain, but it is manageable without the happy pills.
I finally got a call from the doc’s office telling me I need to start taking Vitamin D right now! I am as low as I can go without falling out of the healthy range. Rest of my results the doctor will discuss with me when I go in next week. I don’t like that, but I can live with it. Today is the first day in a while I actually feel like climbing on the treadmill. I will be smart and walk more than run (taking it nice and easy), depending on how this week goes, I might have to pull my training from Intermediate II down to Intermediate I . Or even scrap that and go to Runner’s World and create a 12 week program and kind start at square one again. After looking at the two schedules, I am pretty sure at a minimum I will go from the Intermediate II to a modified Intermediate I

I have to say, this whole Lupus thing has, for the first time ever, got me to slow down and listen to my body. I have to know when I truly don’t feel well vs. just not wanting to do something. The past two weeks I have felt like crap and instead of trying to tell myself ‘you are fine, just push through it’ I am now able to look forward and keep my excitement about my upcoming race. I am still tender but I am not landing myself on the bench! Oh! And PT on Friday – wonderful! He took it nice and gentle and the grinding in my neck has decreased, my constant headache is just annoying now and not painful!

No comments:

Post a Comment