"Don't let the fat chick beat you"?

I have been racing for about 5 years now. I am not a typical runner or even triathlete. I fight with serious medical conditions every step of the way, but each step makes me stronger. I have two boys both with special needs and I have learned to chalk that up to making me stronger as well.

It is with sad heart that I must report that lupus has won the battle this year, but trust me when I say the war is far from over! My racing days are not over by any stretch of the imagination. This is just a minor setback that will make me stronger.

Sunday, June 6, 2010

So today was the big day.

Wake up was started at 3:00 (I know, that is just obscene!) I think I actually made it out of bed at 3:30. I decided I would wear my Nike capris over my CW-X tights, I wore my toe socks, I had on SkirtSports top, but it was under my “Does this shirt make my butt look fast” shirt. I was out of the room by about 3:45 and on the bus by 3:55. The ride to the start line wasn't very long, which was nice. We got up there, first stop potty! Then I sat down and had breakfast; 2 hard boil eggs, a bagel and a banana, then back to the potty. I think I hit the potty a total of 4 times before I crossed the start line. I had to make another stop at a potty around Mile 4. For the first few miles I would run every other song. By mile 5ish I was only running 1 song every mile (I promised my doctor I would walk the entire way, but I am sorry, that is not possible for me to do) Mile 9 I started having some serious issues. My fingers had been swollen since Mile 5 and they weren't getting any better. I called my sister for advice, but I think it was a good thing that she didn't answer. My right foot felt like one of my bones was popping out of my foot (this is how it felt back in August/September time frame last year), my knee was hurting. My hands were so swollen they were red (you know the stage past red). The heat was seriously kicking my ass (you would figure a race in San Diego would have some awesome views, but this was mostly on the streets that not only had no shade the view sucked the majority of the time, but I will get to that later).

When I finally got a hold of my sister we agreed that I didn't come all this way not to finish. When I hit the half way mark I realized there was no way in hell was I going back to work and not being able to say I had finished. I stopped and got some Motrin or Tylenol or what ever they were handing out. They were pushing salt on everyone, but know how my body reacts I didn't touch any! I was drinking way to much water, but I was so thirsty it wasn't even funny. We finally got to an area that was scenic and a nice breeze was coming off the bay or the ocean, but still no shade! Mile 20 (I think) we got to Fiesta Island, who ever planned the route seriously needs to look at other races. Finally Mile 24, then 25. Mile 25 was where I started having issues that brought tears to my eyes. I kept having pain shooting around my ankle. I think my saving grace was the fact I had sunglasses on, if any of the Team in Training coaches or the paramedics had seen just how much pain I was in they would have stopped me. Mile 26 had finally come the pain was still there, but at that point I didn't care. Mile 26.1 I managed to pick up the speed, not as much as usually, but I still picked it up all the same.

All in all I would not recommend this race.

Yes, the race support was great, there were even sideliners who had food. The lady with the peanut butter and jelly sandwiches showed just in time. There were others who had pretzels, liquorish and I have no idea what else. The water stations were well staffed – could have used more ice. There were no oranges for us slower people. The course, I am sorry, but we are in an amazing locations and the majority of the damn course was on black top surrounded by buildings (houses and stores and zzzzzzz). There was minimal shade along the course route. I am thinking the Big Sur marathon would have been a better choice.

After the race was the nightmare of trip to getting back to the hotel. I ended up going to SeaWorld with my sister and my boys and waited for an hour and a half until the SeaWorld pick-up bus came. We got into the park and got food, then the kiddos got to go play on some playground thing.

I guess right now, I can saw I finished and that is about it. I did get more sun than I should have (yes, I put sunscreen on), I can not flex my left foot towards me, I am hoping that will be all better tomorrow. I have chaffing in a very personal area and under my arms (I have never chaffed there before). I didn't take very many pictures, but there was really nothing to see!


  1. Congrats! Sorry to hear about all of your troubles. Sure do wish I could have been there to cheer you on! Guess this was your R&R hell like my CMM one in Nashville. You'll have more fun in New York. Judy and I will get you ready for it. Rest up and see you at the orientation for the Fall team. You're going to be there!?

  2. I think I am going to post pone NYC to next year. I need to take some time off to make it easy to my feet and my knees can get some healing done.