"Don't let the fat chick beat you"?

I have been racing for about 5 years now. I am not a typical runner or even triathlete. I fight with serious medical conditions every step of the way, but each step makes me stronger. I have two boys both with special needs and I have learned to chalk that up to making me stronger as well.


It is with sad heart that I must report that lupus has won the battle this year, but trust me when I say the war is far from over! My racing days are not over by any stretch of the imagination. This is just a minor setback that will make me stronger.

Thursday, August 12, 2010

A dog by any other name…

I started looking around for a new playmate for Charlie for about three weeks. By pure dumb luck the first day I started looking I found what I wanted, a Boxer puppy! Now, I admit, I love boxers! Their personality is just, well there are really no words to explain them.
One thing I couldn’t stop laughing at was how many people are trying to sell mutts for purebred prices. Don’t get me wrong, there is absolutely nothing wrong with mutts, until recently all I ever had were mutts. When I was little we had a German Shepherd/Wolf (not sure how old she was when she passed away), then we had a German Shepherd/Chow (lived until she was 18 years old), we have a Great Dane/Lab. What gets me is not only the price of the “hybrid dogs” of “designer dogs” but the names of some of them! Labradoodle? Sounds like a cookie, not a dog! “Boshi pups (Boston terrier\Shihzu)”? Really? How about “Malshi-poos”? Oh! Here is one… $500 for a “Shichon/Zuchon(ShihTzu/Bishon)”. Not only are some of these dogs’ names funny sounding, some of these dogs are just plain straight out funny looking! A prime example is Rusty a “bogle” a Boxer/Beagle go to: http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/bogle.htm. The dogs I grew up with are now known as not sure what the German Shepherd/wolf would be called today, but we also had a Chow Shepherd, and now a Labradane. I am not sure what the problem with being a “mutt” was but apparently it is no longer politically correct for a dog to be a mutt. You know what, I am sure Charlie could care less what you call him, all he needs to do is scratch him under the chin and rub his tummy and just show him that you care. Show dogs are fine, but they have no place in my home (it is more fun making messes and playing around than it is to get gussied up for others to judge).

2 comments:

  1. I almost got a Rottle - Rottie + Poodle! Glad I stuck with Rottie only!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, we've got all sort of "doodles" running around in our neighborhood. It's hilarious!

    My golden was a rescue and I love her to pieces. Good luck finding a new pooch!

    ReplyDelete