"Don't let the fat chick beat you"?

I have been racing for about 5 years now. I am not a typical runner or even triathlete. I fight with serious medical conditions every step of the way, but each step makes me stronger. I have two boys both with special needs and I have learned to chalk that up to making me stronger as well.


It is with sad heart that I must report that lupus has won the battle this year, but trust me when I say the war is far from over! My racing days are not over by any stretch of the imagination. This is just a minor setback that will make me stronger.

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Junk Food Junkie

No, I am not now, nor have I ever been a “Junk Food Junkie”. I will admit to enjoying junk food from time to time (some times more often than others), I got the way I am today because I love food.
I was packing my food for the day this morning, weighing/measuring out my food and I started thinking (I know, LOOK OUT!). I sat there and packed ¼ cup of cottage cheese, 20 g of blackberries, 20 g of raspberries, 39 g of strawberries and 127 g of Greek yogurt, I realized just how much food I was packing (all of that is for breakfast). Mind you, that breakfast has pretty low calories, not a whole bunch of fat, but is a great source of all sorts of healthy stuff, not to mention it tastes great. My lunch I have a salad, a little on the bland side, but I was too tired to see what all I could find, lots of fruits and veggies, I have some pudding (a nice little dessert to keep me away from binging). I was looking at all the food I pack and started thinking about what I have eaten in the past (and still do sometimes), all the processed food (yes, I know my pudding is pretty processed) I would consume in a day. I would eat oatmeal for breakfast, but it was the fruit and cream oatmeal, I would eat a frozen meal for lunch, I would eat about the same amount as I do now, but now it is fresh (or frozen) fruits and veggies, it is stuff that actually has significant nutritional value. Yes, I still have cookies from time to time, but you have to permit yourself to indulge every now and then.
I started P90X again last night. This time I am working with bands (I purchased 30 lb, 50 lb and 70lb)… WOW! I could seriously feel a difference! Right now I am doing about 90% of the pushups on my knees. I try to get 5 in off my knees before dropping down. The ab work, before I started I agreed to doing just 10 reps for now; next week we will go up to 15 and so on. “Coach” aka Freddie kept coming in and checking on me, he would get up on my bed and peek over while I was doing the abs, while I was doing the first part he was on my bed guarding my water bottle!
Today I have PT so no lunch time work out, but that is a good thing, I have plyometrics tonight. I will be doing a mix of low and high impact. Tomorrow is Weight Watchers, I have less than 0.2 pounds before I get my yoga mat. And 0.6 pounds before I get another pair of running socks (I get socks every time I lose weight, I get running socks for every 5 pounds I lose). I have been hitting the stairs at work (I work on the 5th floor) both coming and going, I have been parking in the WAY back of the parking lot. I wasn’t to horrible over the weekend, so I am hoping I will see another good number (a nice 2 would send me to the moon!)

No comments:

Post a Comment