"Don't let the fat chick beat you"?

I have been racing for about 5 years now. I am not a typical runner or even triathlete. I fight with serious medical conditions every step of the way, but each step makes me stronger. I have two boys both with special needs and I have learned to chalk that up to making me stronger as well.


It is with sad heart that I must report that lupus has won the battle this year, but trust me when I say the war is far from over! My racing days are not over by any stretch of the imagination. This is just a minor setback that will make me stronger.

Monday, August 23, 2010

What a weekend!

I have no idea where to start! Friday night, well, it was neither here nor there. I followed Iowa Girl Eats suggestion and my sister, older son and I snuck by DQ and picked up mini blizzards. I have to say, it was the perfect size! We had Greek snacks for dinner, it was exactly what I wanted!
Saturday morning was when my weekend truly started. I was out of bed and out the door by 5:30 (poor Kiddo #1 was out of bed and in the backyard at the same time, Freddie was ready to go outside and my sister went out to be with them). As I was driving I chomped on my banana. I got to my start location right on time, a hair before 6:00 am. Normally I start off jogging (after warming up), Saturday I decided to start off by walking a song, then I jogged two, then walked a song; I did this for the first half. When I got to the lake, I stopped and went to the bathroom (thank God the bathroom was opened!) went around the lake and headed back, this time going for more of a three songs jogging, one song walking. Ok, so it was a 14 minute pace, I don’t care! I felt great. This was my first outing in over two weeks (except for the mile walk with the puppies earlier in the week). I made sure I took it easy, I was out there to enjoy myself. I got to watch the sun come up, some rabbits hop across the trail, a deer and her baby, it was exactly what I needed. Yes, my neck/shoulder is still a little sore, but I felt it loosing up as I was out there, it is still sore now, but it is a lot better. I still have two weeks before training season starts on the books my first weekend is a 5 and a 10-miler, depending on how I feel I might do the 5 on the elliptical machine and then the 10 outside. Even through the schedule has me running six days I week I will not be pounding the pavement more than 4 (I will hit the elliptical machine for the other two if need be). After my wonderful run, I went home took a shower and hurried everyone into the car. It was time to go SHOPPING!

One of the local running stores was having their annual tent sale. Since Kiddo #1 is running Cross Country he needed running shoes (not something from Wal-Mart). I made sure we were there right when they opened at 10 am (ok, fine, a little earlier, but still). Kiddo found his shoes pretty quickly, we even had a store person make sure they looked ok. I, on the other hand, was having a little more of a difficult time finding shoes. I am a Nike gal, I have been a Nike gal since I started racing. Well, that changed. I found a pair of Nikes that fit, but then I tried on some Mizunos (Wave Alchemy 9)… my feet were in heaven! Yes, my feet are still messed up so my shoes can’t be to tight on the side (even if they feel comfortable before I start running they run the risk of being too tight by the end of my run and I can NOT have anything hugging my feet). I will be working in the new shoes in over the week, but I have really high hopes for them! Oh, yea and they cost me a whopping $35. I know, I spent WAY to much, but I think I can deal with the buyer’s remorse!
Sunday I had hoped to go swimming, but we just had to much other stuff to do. Freddie started puppy kindergarten and we had to pick up a few things for him, we had to go grocery shopping, had to get ready for Monday… the list goes on and on. We got everything done, I packed a nice lunch bag for today and my younger son even found time to lock my keys in the car!
To make sure I don’t get bored with my eating this week I have managed to mix things up from my snacks (threw some cracker into the rotation) to my lunches (I looked at the calendar and recognized when I will not have the time to make my lunch and pre-inserted frozen meals), dinners- we have pretty well planned for this week (keeping in mind it is going to be a CRAZY week). My weight Watchers schedule is going to get really confusing for the next two and a half months, but I will keep going.
Here is to a great new week!


No comments:

Post a Comment