"Don't let the fat chick beat you"?

I have been racing for about 5 years now. I am not a typical runner or even triathlete. I fight with serious medical conditions every step of the way, but each step makes me stronger. I have two boys both with special needs and I have learned to chalk that up to making me stronger as well.

It is with sad heart that I must report that lupus has won the battle this year, but trust me when I say the war is far from over! My racing days are not over by any stretch of the imagination. This is just a minor setback that will make me stronger.

Friday, August 13, 2010

Need to Get Back on Track

The past week has been absolutely horrible and that is ignoring the issue with Carin! For whatever reason I woke up last Friday morning and my neck hurt, not the normal slept wrong crick in the neck but downright hurt. I pain was shooting from the base of my skull down to about where my bra strap hits. Typically I would have considered calling in sick, but there was too much going on that I just couldn’t do it. The pain got to the point that I called for an appointment and thankfully I was able to get in that afternoon.
Since it was my doc’s day off I say the PA, I have no issue with that. He could see the spasms in my back the second I turned around. I could turn my head 5 degrees to the right and about 10 to the left. I could not look down and if I turned wrong I couldn’t breathe. I was put on Vicodin and Flexural and then sent home for bed rest. I dropped off the prescription and was told it would be an hour, I was not waiting! I picked up Kiddo #2 from my parents (Kiddo #1 was at Tae Kwon Do) and went home. Poor Kiddo #2 had to help me take my shirt off, he was a gentlemen and closed his eyes while he was helping. As I laid down I think every swear word in the book came flying out of my mouth! My wonderful sister picked up Kiddo #1, my meds and “comfort food”.
Saturday I had enough meds in my system that I pretty much slept the entire day!
Sunday wasn’t as easy. Carin howled in pain and I shot right up. There aren’t words to describe how much that hurt. Hanging out at the Doggy ER for a few hours didn’t help either. When we got home, Carin got her doggy Vicodin (not sure the name, but it was pretty much the same thing) I took my pain pills and we both curled up on my bed and slept.
Monday I had mommy duties followed by a follow up doc appointment. I called the vet to get Carin in so her doctor could check her out. I went to Kiddo #1’s school and did my mommy duty for about an hour, went home picked Carin and well, we know what happened at her appointment. My mom came to the vet to pick up my boys and my sister took me to my doctor appointment and I was put on another two days of bed rest. And since I cried at him he gave me sleeping pills to make sure I slept (I have not needed them yet, so I haven’t used any!).
All this breaks down to a week of happy pills, “comfort food” eating, no training… Yes, I skipped Weight Watchers this week! Freddie moves in tonight so my lunch time workouts are out the window for a while. That just leaves early morning or after work/when my sister gets home from school. It is time to get back on the wagon, I am still not up to running (back/neck still hurts a little) but that doesn’t mean I can’t take walks or do the recumbent bike. It definitely means I need to keep it nice and easy and my diet needs to go back to what it should be!

No comments:

Post a Comment