"Don't let the fat chick beat you"?

I have been racing for about 5 years now. I am not a typical runner or even triathlete. I fight with serious medical conditions every step of the way, but each step makes me stronger. I have two boys both with special needs and I have learned to chalk that up to making me stronger as well.


It is with sad heart that I must report that lupus has won the battle this year, but trust me when I say the war is far from over! My racing days are not over by any stretch of the imagination. This is just a minor setback that will make me stronger.

Monday, March 12, 2012

Gym Etiquette

12 March 2012

I realize I am frequently ranting and raving about the going ons in the gym.  Today I am back on my soap box and I am truly not happy! I understand the gym is a great place to meet up with friends and enjoy a workout, I get it. But there are a few things I really wish people would keep in mind.  #1 the locker room does not need to smell like a French whore house, please do not bathe in your perfume until AFTER you leave the closed in area. #2 those benches are supposed to serve more than one person at a time.  There is no excuse for one person to have their stuff laid out across the entire damn thing!!! #3 the entrance way into the latrines is NOT a gossip area! I will just hit three today!

1.       French whore house – the locker rooms are closed in and probably about half the people are finishing up their workout and we don’t’ need to be choking on the smell of your perfume. 

2.       Benches – we all learned when we were little how to share.  I have not seen a single bench in the locker room that is intended for a single person.  Because some people find it necessary to hog the entire thing other people are trying to juggle their property and dropping and breaking their stuff! (yes, I dropped stuff today which is my main reason for this soap box visit.  Not only did my iPod hit the ground my phone did too, I did get lucky and only my ear bud broke, but that is money I didn’t want to have to spend!)

3.       I have never been in a men’s locker room so this is really single sided, but I have never seen women gossip more than they do in the gym.  The thing is there are places in the gym that are fine if you want to blab but there are a ton of places that you just need to stay away from… the entrance area to the latrines – when I have to pee, I can only be polite for so long.  Weight machines – if you are going to use it now… MOVE!

Ok, I’ll shut about that now!  (I didn’t even touch on the definition of Same sex locker rooms and that I don’t care how old a boy is a boy is a boy and they do not belong in the women’s locker room!)

Yesterday was rest day and it wasn’t easy.  I just wanted to go get some swimming in or a nice yoga class, something! But I survived! Today was back to business.  I am trying to get four or five yoga classes in a week because I want to see how my body reacts.  On the training front it was a nice easy 2.5 miles, which I made sure I stayed in Zone 3.  The odd thing was I kept getting dizzy while on the treadmill, I wasn’t sure I was going to make it to yoga.  By the time I got off the treadmill I was feeling ok so I figured I would give yoga a chance.  I am glad did!  Different instructor than last time, but we did a lot of lower body focused moves and it felt good.  We did Happy Baby twice and I have to say, my back LOVES happy baby!!!!! Now it is time to focus homework, finals week is next week. L






~If you hear that someone is speaking ill of you, instead of trying to defend yourself you should say: "He obviously does not know me very well, since there are so many other faults he could have mentioned"~

No comments:

Post a Comment