"Don't let the fat chick beat you"?

I have been racing for about 5 years now. I am not a typical runner or even triathlete. I fight with serious medical conditions every step of the way, but each step makes me stronger. I have two boys both with special needs and I have learned to chalk that up to making me stronger as well.


It is with sad heart that I must report that lupus has won the battle this year, but trust me when I say the war is far from over! My racing days are not over by any stretch of the imagination. This is just a minor setback that will make me stronger.

Monday, March 19, 2012

Sixth year

19 March 2012
I realized over the weekend that I was entering into my sixth year of racing!!! Which of course got me thinking about the past hand full of years. 
Ten years ago I was in a bad situation but I was fighting like hell to get out of it.  I had met people who were an inspiration to me in a verity of ways.  I met a gentlemen who was an Ironman champion, I met a pompous professional triathlete (who after a while became someone who gave me pointers that I still use to this day!) I met a stay at home mom who was a triathlete (sprint distances), I met an 80+ year old man retired general who swam every day no matter what, and my kids had an honorary grandfather who fought in WWII, couldn’t remember most of it but still had a heart of gold.  Anyway, I had decided I would give the whole triathlon thing a shot.  Well, life happened and next thing I knew I was I was injured and out of the military.  After of few years of ‘woe is me’ing I decided it was time to pull my head out of my @$$ and get on with my life.
I signed up for my first 5K in March 2007. When I signed up for my first triathlon I was in tears because I was finally accomplishing my goals.  Even though I have more hurdles I still refuse to give up.  I might have to make a few adjustments here and there, but I am going to keep going until I have to stop!
This weekend I was supposed to run the Canyonlands half marathon, but I had a mini flare up and I had to downgrade to the 5-miler.  No matter the distance, we had an enjoyable weekend.  The weather was amazing (except for the trip back), I have to say, that is one of my favorite races. 
I was a happy tortoise, took my time and enjoyed the day!



~If you hear that someone is speaking ill of you, instead of trying to defend yourself you should say: "He obviously does not know me very well, since there are so many other faults he could have mentioned"~

No comments:

Post a Comment