"Don't let the fat chick beat you"?

I have been racing for about 5 years now. I am not a typical runner or even triathlete. I fight with serious medical conditions every step of the way, but each step makes me stronger. I have two boys both with special needs and I have learned to chalk that up to making me stronger as well.


It is with sad heart that I must report that lupus has won the battle this year, but trust me when I say the war is far from over! My racing days are not over by any stretch of the imagination. This is just a minor setback that will make me stronger.

Friday, March 9, 2012

Un-Break My Heart

9 March 2012

Do you know Toni Braxton has lupus? SQUIRREL! Oh! And don’t ask about the video, I just like the song!!!
Heart rate training… Every time I go to spin class Tony (I love Tony, he is an awesome spin instructor [but I did cheat on him today]) goes on and on about Anaerobic Threshold (AT) and the different levels.  Which got me to thinking.  I can’t just listen to my breathing, thanks to my Methotrexate I get winded just going up a set of stairs at times.  So of course I started thinking about heart rate training.  Luckily a friend lent me a heart rate monitor while mine is on vacation (renovations have caused a lot of things to go on vacation!!!!!).  Yesterday while I was on the treadmill I kept an eye on my heart rate and my heart rate was pretty well behaved.  I get it that AT running is not the same as AT spinning.  I found one website that seems to have the most informative information (Heart Rate Training Zones), but I am still looking!

Today was “Active Recovery” day… so I decided I would check out what classes were being offered I found a few with the time range I was interested in and I settled on two.  Spinning (hello! I LOVE that class) and Hot Vinyasa. 
Again, I cheated on my all-time favorite spin instructor.   I attended spin class, I kept a very close eye on my heart rate.  We were not supposed to go into Zone 4, but I did sneak in a few times.  The class was great and then the instructor made a comment that got my goat up a little.  You get what you deserve” I understand where she is coming from what but I really wish she would think about it from more than just a fitness stand point.  I get the “if I eat three pieces of chocolate cake I am going to feel like crap.” I get it, I do.  But once I step out of the gym (or outside of the fitness world) I will throw down the BS card in a heartbeat!
Then it was off to Hot Vinyasa class.  I was a little nervous, but my primary doc did tell me it would be good for me, but make sure I spoke to the instructor before class; which I did!  My back was in heaven!!!!! Oh wait… she cranked up the heat and turned on the humidifier. I got toasty in there! After a few stretches my back was in heaven. I did have to keep taking breaks to get water and to get rid of the dizziness but I really enjoyed the class.  I realize this is going to make me sounds nuts, but I LOVE the pigeon pose! Love, love, love it! I was so happy when the instructor directed us into this pose.  My knees didn’t have any issues going into this pose and my hips loved being there.  I am tired, but I feel so relaxed!
Tomorrow group run! YAY!


~If you hear that someone is speaking ill of you, instead of trying to defend yourself you should say: "He obviously does not know me very well, since there are so many other faults he could have mentioned"~

No comments:

Post a Comment