"Don't let the fat chick beat you"?

I have been racing for about 5 years now. I am not a typical runner or even triathlete. I fight with serious medical conditions every step of the way, but each step makes me stronger. I have two boys both with special needs and I have learned to chalk that up to making me stronger as well.


It is with sad heart that I must report that lupus has won the battle this year, but trust me when I say the war is far from over! My racing days are not over by any stretch of the imagination. This is just a minor setback that will make me stronger.

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Leap Day

7 March 2012
According to an old Irish legend, or possibly history, St Bridget struck a deal with St Patrick to allow women to propose to men – and not just the other way around – every 4 years. This is believed to have been introduced to balance the traditional roles of men and women in a similar way to how Leap Day balances the calendar.
In some places, Leap Day has been known as “Bachelors’ Day” for the same reason. A man was expected to pay a penalty, such as a gown or money, if he refused a marriage proposal from a woman on Leap Day. In many European countries, especially in the upper classes of society, tradition dictates that any man who refuses a woman's proposal on February 29 has to buy her 12 pairs of gloves. The intention is that the woman can wear the gloves to hide the embarrassment of not having an engagement ring. During the middle ages there were laws governing this tradition.

I know, Leap Day was a week ago now, but I have to admit something… Everyone who even knows me even a little bit understands not only do I like to color outside the lines, but I feel it is necessary to be a smart ass.  With that said I figured this year I would follow the Leap Day tradition and propose to someone.  I have known this person for almost a decade, they have been there when I have needed no nonsense unsugar coated advice.  This person is very important to me and if I were to actually get married again I could see myself spending rest of my life with this person.  When I sent them the proposal (yes, I did it via email [I am not sure this person knows not only what a phone is, but what it does!!!!]) I was well aware of their opinion of marriage, but I did it anyway! Not only did I not expect a positive response, I really didn’t expect any response at all! Realistically I am not exactly a prime catch. WAIT!!! Don’t get excited yet! I say this for once main reason… drama! Between my lupus, and my kids medical conditions we have anything but a normal and calm life.  I would not wish that much drama upon ANYONE! I told you I was a smart ass!
I was dragging a smidge this morning.  My eyes are being weird.  I can’t really focus both my eyes; I am fine if I am using one eye or the other, but once both eyes are open forget it.  I finally made it to the gym, happy news on the scale (tomorrow is my official weigh in day and I actually can’t wait!), then to the treadmill.  I took it kind of easy, but I got an enjoyable 2.7 miler in and then I did some lower body and core weights (I have swimming on the books tomorrow so I didn’t want to work my upper body).  Once I was done with all that I changed into my swim suite and hit the hot tub.  Awwww! Felt amazing.  On my way out I decided to splurge and had a wonderful salmon salad. 

Tomorrow is an elliptical machine visit (might visit the treadmill, don’t know yet) and pool time!



~If you hear that someone is speaking ill of you, instead of trying to defend yourself you should say: "He obviously does not know me very well, since there are so many other faults he could have mentioned"~

No comments:

Post a Comment