"Don't let the fat chick beat you"?

I have been racing for about 5 years now. I am not a typical runner or even triathlete. I fight with serious medical conditions every step of the way, but each step makes me stronger. I have two boys both with special needs and I have learned to chalk that up to making me stronger as well.


It is with sad heart that I must report that lupus has won the battle this year, but trust me when I say the war is far from over! My racing days are not over by any stretch of the imagination. This is just a minor setback that will make me stronger.

Friday, September 3, 2010

Om!

Yesterday I was feeling pretty good. I went down and did a nice 45 minute workout on the elliptical machine. My knee was feeling ok (had a few twinges here and there). After checking on how kiddo #1 was doing (gotta love parent portals) and finding out he was missing homework AGAIN! I decided he would NOT go to Taekwondo. I figured I would start P90 X and then when it was time to take Kiddo #2 to gymnastics WELLLLLL, that didn’t happen! First I got a phone call from Kiddo #1’s cross country coach and turns out his attitude isn’t the greatest one around! His motivation sucks most of the time and AHHHHH! We got home and Kiddo #1 was doing homework (he had permission to come disturb me if he had any questions) and Kiddo #2 was outside playing with the dogs. Next thing I know I hear a girl scream, I look out my window and Charlie (the 100 pound dane/lab) had broken out of the back yard. I threw a shirt on and went flying down the stairs and out the door, Charlie came back in without an issue. I asked the girls if they were alright and they said yes (I think he just scared them) and I apologized profusely! Needless to say, Charlie came inside and stayed inside (my sister is fixing the hole today). I go back upstairs and rewind a little (you don’t actually think I took the time to grab the remote and hit pause do you?) and I continued. Charlie decided it was his job to not only share my yoga mat with me but to chase my shadows while I was working! Freddie on the other hand figured downward dog meant I was supposed to have a dog under me giving me kisses while I was doing that. While trying to work around those two, I hear Kiddo #2 crying. I hit pause and call both boys up to me to ask them what is going on. Kiddo #1 “I just bopped him upside the head.” Kiddo #2 had still not come up so I called him again. When he finally made it upstairs he was hunched over holding his stomach. He said Kiddo #1 had punched him in the stomach. I sent Kiddo #1 away to finish his homework and Kiddo #2 helped himself to my book shelf and planted himself on my bed. Somehow I was able to finish the workout and it only took me about two hours! We had dinner and things seemed to have calmed down. That didn’t last long. I went back up stairs to get things ready for bed and I hear a scream from downstairs, Kiddo #2 comes up with his hand over his eye crying. Kiddo #2 claimed he accidently threw something at Kiddo #2. Kiddo #2 had a nice little cut going up to his eye. It was a raisin box that was thrown and Kiddo #2 was supposed to catch it. Kiddo #2 got to sleep in my bed last night. I was watching BBC’s Oliver Twist and since Kiddo #2 LOVES that movie he curled up on my bed, next thing I knew he was asleep. Charlie could care less who slept in my bed, Freddie on the other hand was very confused about the fact that one of his brothers was sleeping in his spot on mommy’s bed! Then this morning my car keys went missing so I have to drive my truck!

Ignoring all the distractions, I have to say YogaX kicked my rump last night! I love sun salutations, I went through those with no issues. Next were the runner’s poses WHOA! (that is when all hell was breaking lose and the breaks were much appreciated!) Talk about a workout! The balance poses were ok, I skipped the shoulder stand (my neck and shoulder would not have appreciated if I have done that). Then the stretching Kiddo #2 and I agreed that one leg is longer than the other! I could reach my toes on both sides, one was just easier than that other. What struck me as odd was my shoulder started complaining when both legs were straight and I was holding my feet, needless to I lessened the stretch until I stopped feeling it in my shoulder. I was ecstatic when we did the happy baby, I would have to say, that is my all time favorite pose!

Yesterday I ordered my running socks. Now, I have an issue paying $5 shipping for a $9 pair of socks. So I cheated, I still was due a pair of running socks for my first 5 pounds and I know I will need more when I lose another 5, so I ordered 4 pairs! They have been shipped and I can’t wait until I get them!


Tonight – P90X Legs and back and physical therapy! I am hoping to get my workout down BEFORE I go to PT! To add my own personal disclaimer. I am well aware of the warning that P90X has about knees, backs blah, blah, blah. If there is one thing I have learned this past year is to listen to my body. For the most part I feel as if I can do these workouts, yes, there are some exercise I chose to skip because of injuries to certain parts and again, do I expect to see the same results as others see? No! I am just using this to get into better shape and help me lose weight. Maybe my second round I will be able to do everything without issues.



2 comments:

  1. you are a machine! between workouts and the kiddies and the dog! WOW how do you get it all done and keep your sanity, assuming you are keeping it? LOL you will find the benefits of the yoga are awesome and only get better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay this Kiddo #1 and #2 is getting old. How about coming up with some nicknames like:
    Quisp and Quake - breakfast cereals
    Thunder & Lightning
    Gumby & Pokey

    ReplyDelete