"Don't let the fat chick beat you"?

I have been racing for about 5 years now. I am not a typical runner or even triathlete. I fight with serious medical conditions every step of the way, but each step makes me stronger. I have two boys both with special needs and I have learned to chalk that up to making me stronger as well.


It is with sad heart that I must report that lupus has won the battle this year, but trust me when I say the war is far from over! My racing days are not over by any stretch of the imagination. This is just a minor setback that will make me stronger.

Friday, March 11, 2011

5th Time

Last night I went in for the fifth time to pick up my race bib for the St. Patrick’s Day 5k. I am not saying I have done five 5K (I have done a heck of a lot more than that). This particular race holds a very near and dear spot for me. This was my very first 5K. My pace has stayed pretty much the same the entire time (ok, one year I was down to 32 minutes and then next I was up to 38 minutes). This year I will be happy if I stay under 40! This is a training run; I just recently got back into running after a hand full of month hiatus.

2007

1

17 Mar 07

St. Patrick’s 5K

0:36:45

2008

11

15 Mar 08

St. Patrick’s 5K

0:36:46

2009

22

14 Mar 09

St. Patrick’s 5K

0:32:38

2010

37

12 Mar 10

St. Patrick’s 5K

0:38:21

2011

44

12 Mar 11

St. Patrick’s 5K

???

This will also be my 44th race since starting! (I told you I have done a few more 5Ks than just these five!!!). I might be somewhere around the same weight as I was when I started, but I am a completely different shape. Not to mention in most instances my health is a million times better!

Yesterday I got about an hour of cross training in. I did a warm-up and cool down on the elliptical machine with a good lower body weight session in between. This morning my hips are letting me know they got a good workout yesterday! J My obliques are talking to me too. It feels great! I have arranged with my sister to pick me up after my run this afternoon but I am not 100% sure I will be able to run outside today. Talk about windy! I think I heard on the news this morning we are having gusts of over 50 mph. Driving around this morning my poor little car couldn’t stay where I wanted it to. And then walking about side I had to hold onto everything for dear life! Not that it is a huge deal if I don’t make it, I think I could suffer through a Sunday morning run!


Next week will be on the entertaining side because it is finals week. I took the picture with my cell phone of a rendered image of my final project. I am taking a 3D animation class (gotta love getting a degree in visual communications!!!!). I need to finish my Farris wheel from hell (as far as I am concerned all Farris wheels are from hell, I hate the damn things!). And I have a few more things to finish up and then I am done with this quarter! YAY!!! This weekend into next week gets bumpy.

Here is to my 5th running of the St Patrick’s Day 5K and keep my insanity during finals week!

OH! And Bicycle Village is having their HUGE sale this weekend in Colorado Springs!

1 comment:

  1. Best of luck tomorrow! Sorry I won't be there. I've got an 18 miler on schedule. Trade you!?!

    ReplyDelete