"Don't let the fat chick beat you"?

I have been racing for about 5 years now. I am not a typical runner or even triathlete. I fight with serious medical conditions every step of the way, but each step makes me stronger. I have two boys both with special needs and I have learned to chalk that up to making me stronger as well.


It is with sad heart that I must report that lupus has won the battle this year, but trust me when I say the war is far from over! My racing days are not over by any stretch of the imagination. This is just a minor setback that will make me stronger.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Tuesday ranting and raving

Yesterday I was not feeling very well, I was tired and just not there. Before I went down to the gymlet I knew I would not really be running. I got on the elliptical machine and I was fighting a mile and a half into it (I got to 1.7 before getting off), so I decided I would try getting on the treadmill for my last 1.8 miles knowing I might not get my 3.5 in. I started off at a nice easy (slow) 3.5 pace. After a 10th of a mile I upped it to 3.6 and I kept upping it every 10th of a mile until I was done. At about 4.5 I was jog/walking, the last 10th I was supposed to be at 5.3 but I decided to up it to 6.0 to finish it off. I felt pretty good. I was still tired, but I was a little more invigorated. I got back to my desk only to deal with another blood sugar crash! As soon as I hit the locker room I started eating my apple sauce to try to prevent it from happening again. After work I had to take Charlie to the vet (nothing major, he just needed to visit a tech) got home, my sister made dinner and I was pretty much in bed right then and there. I was out cold well before 10 pm. This morning my alarm went off and my fur boys let me sleep a little more but then they decided just because I wasn’t getting out of bed yet doesn’t mean I can just lay there and do nothing. For the next 20 minutes I got squished, licked and stepped on every which way! Charlie was getting ready to lay down next to me when all of a sudden Freddie was walking under him and taking his place! When Charlie finally got to lay down next to me Freddie sat on him!


Yesterday I was screwing around on the Trek website and designed my dream tri bike. Eventually I would like one, I know how expensive they are, but it is always fun going to the Project One area and coming up with MY bike! Speaking of bikes… My century is about two months away. Did I mention at the bike sale I got a new seat too? Sorry, I think today is a SQUIRREL day! I finally got her out for a ride on Sunday and felt great! This weekend I plan on doing two loops on the Air Force Academy’s main road (pretty flat). By the end of next month I will be hitting the road near the outlets (a lot more hills)

Today will probably be a two session day. I got a good upper body workout in during lunch. BRC is having a group fun after work that I will try to make. I feel really good right now and if I am still feeling good around 4 pm, then I will do it, if not, I won’t! If I am not up to running I might hit the pool!


I have been ragging on Skirts Sports more than I should over the past few months. I have to say, I do like their running skirts (I would LOVE them if they would just put drawstrings in). Now, Skirt Sports isn’t just running skirts. Nicole DeBoom, Skirt Sports founder, is a triathlete and I have to say this give her company an serious edge when it comes to some of their products. During the expo of my first half ironman a running store had a booth set up and low and behold a Skirt Sports bike skirt was in their sale bin, so I got it! I know ‘you shouldn’t try anything new on race day’ well, my toosh was about to put on 56 miles and any extra padding I could get would be greatly appreciated! LOVED IT! Yes, my toosh was still a little sore at the end, but what do you expect? I am excited to be picking out a new outfit now that I am getting back on the bike (hey, a girl can always use motivation!). So, in the near future I will be getting the Short Sleeve Jersey (hopefully it runs a little lose, I don’t like tight stuff up top) and the Cruiser Bike Girl (a little longer than Breezer Bike Girl, which, to me, is always nice).

Here is to a beautiful day in Colorado!

No comments:

Post a Comment