"Don't let the fat chick beat you"?

I have been racing for about 5 years now. I am not a typical runner or even triathlete. I fight with serious medical conditions every step of the way, but each step makes me stronger. I have two boys both with special needs and I have learned to chalk that up to making me stronger as well.


It is with sad heart that I must report that lupus has won the battle this year, but trust me when I say the war is far from over! My racing days are not over by any stretch of the imagination. This is just a minor setback that will make me stronger.

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Work to Live or Live to Work?

As I stated yesterday I had to work over the weekend and that got me to thinking. There are two categories of people in the world, those who work to live and those who live to work. Actually, there are three categories you also have the group who are to lazy to work and just mooch off of others. For the record stay at home moms do NOT fall into that third category by any stretch of the imagination (as far as I am concerned they have the hardest job around, there are no sick days, there are no lunch breaks, etc.).

I will be the first to admit, I fall 100% into Category 1, work to live race. J When I can help it I get my time in and get out. Don’t get me wrong, if there is something that needs to get done, I have no issue putting in extra hours, not a big deal, its life! I need my weekends (Sunday I was dragging something fierce and Monday was even worse). I like knowing Friday is just around the corner and when the weekend comes the fun starts. I like having my family at the top of my priorities (which is why I work!). I like providing for my kids and knowing if there is a movie coming out that they just have to see we can go see it. I try my damndest not to let work interfere with that.

I work with something who is Category 2 and to be brutally honest, it is actually quite sad. I have never seen anyone so miserable, not to mention cranky! A family at home, speaks degradingly to spouse, kid (who is a brat) who can do no wrong. The priorities are just so different. And so are the personalities!

Yesterday I am ecstatic to report I got both of my workouts in yesterday. I did a 12-miler (on the stationary bike) in during lunch and I decided to hop on the treadmill for three minutes as soon as I was done. My legs left pretty good on the treadmill which was nice, I plan on throwing in a mini brick from time to time during my week session just to get my legs used to having to do that turnover and then as my triathlons approach I will get some bricks in on the weekends. I did say I got both of my workouts in yesterday. After work I stopped by the bathroom, got changed into my running clothes and then drove up to the north gate of the Air Force Academy and did a nice 3-miler, actually by the time I got back to my car is was more than 3 miles, but it felt absolutely amazing being out there running!

Today I have another 3-miler on the books, but I might end up with a forced rest day. I had to drop Freddie off at the vet, he is fine, he is just have the operation today. Then I have class tonight, so I am not sure I will get my miles in (I am going to try to get them in after class, but I next expect that to happen, most of the time I am just to tired!).

On a side note, I have been shopping (hence the new running watch)…

Sweaty Bands

I think the first time I saw them was at the San Diego RnR Marathon and I thought they were cute, that was until I saw the price. My first thought was ARE THEY NUTS??? And I continued on my way. Then later on a good running buddy started talking about them, again, Is she insane spending that much money for a headband? (Sorry Lynne!) Saturday I did a smidge of emotional shopping before having to go into work and where else would I go, but my favorite running store? They had this really cute Sweaty Band and I decided what the hell, I will get it (not expecting much). Yesterday I did my bike ride and it didn’t move; treadmill, no moving. Put it on again to hit the trail (luckily it had dried out some) put my visor on over the top and guess what, didn’t move!!!!

Dear Sweaty Bands,

I am sorry I ever doubted you!

Running Skirts

I got home last night and there was a package in front of my door. YAY! My new skirts have arrived. As I got closer I realized two skirts would not need that big of a package. I looked at it and it was for my sister. L I was on the phone with my sister as she was driving home and she said she was stopping by the mailbox. There was a key in the box! She said I had a package, little did she know I was still in my running stuff, I flew out the door and hauled butt down to there, Jose handed me the package out the driver side window and I hauled butt back up the street! My two new running skirts had arrived. Now, I am not talking about SkirtSports running skirts. These are actually from RunningSkirts.com. Their Capri running skirts have drawstrings! (SkirtSports, you might want to make a note of this). I ran upstairs and tried on my new skirts! I got the green plaid athletic skirt (no drawstring) and it fit nicely, it will be perfect for the St. Patrick’s day 5K! I also got the Preppy Pink Capri Running Skirt (has drawstring), I like the purple one so much (I did my last marathon in it), I had get a pink on! Apparently the spring line should be coming out soon, I can’t wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment