"Don't let the fat chick beat you"?

I have been racing for about 5 years now. I am not a typical runner or even triathlete. I fight with serious medical conditions every step of the way, but each step makes me stronger. I have two boys both with special needs and I have learned to chalk that up to making me stronger as well.

It is with sad heart that I must report that lupus has won the battle this year, but trust me when I say the war is far from over! My racing days are not over by any stretch of the imagination. This is just a minor setback that will make me stronger.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Grand Prix of Running 5K on St Patrick’s Day Race Report

Thursday afternoon I went zooming downtown between work and school to pick up my stuff for Saturday’s 5K. Since I was downtown I just had to stop at Wooglins (I ordered my usual and ended up with meat in my chili, I was very upset!). I went into Runner’s Roost to get my stuff and I was in and out of there within two minutes (good thing too; the parking meter only had three minutes on it!). Sadly the packet included a shirt, a bib and a few ads. In the past they have done a lot better, but no big deal.

Saturday morning wake up was at 7:00 with an 8:00 departure (race started at 10:00). I put on my Brooks tights and my Running Skirt green plaid running skirt. Then it was time for a shirt, for whatever reason I will not wear (or even try on) a race shirt until after I have completed the race. Cuervo was so excited when he found my green running shirt so I put on. I had to wear normal running socks since I had an actual pair of tights on (my sister took the time and energy to find me a pair of green tights, I was going to wear them!). Amazingly we were out the door by 8!!! We stopped and got breakfast on the way downtown and we got there with plenty of time (we get there early for a reason!). Pulled into the parking garage, found a perfect spot that I backed into, when we left all I had to do was pull forward and head down the ramp, no worries about crazy drivers coming whipping around the corner.

We slowly wondered down to the park and the boys played on the playground for a while. Hit the porta potty a time or two and at about 9:45 I headed towards the start line. A little after 10 we were sort of off and running, then we stopped again! I finally started the start mats (first time they have had those) and off I went. I told myself three minutes running, one minute walking. My nifty Forerunner made sure I knew when I was time to start running and when it was time to walk. I was not shooting for any particular time (besides under 40:00) so when I crossed the finish line at 37 and some change I was happy. I wasn’t tired, I hadn’t needed my inhaler (that I did not have with me), nothing was hurting, I felt really good!

Sex Place

Sex Field

Age Group Place

Age Group Field

Clock time

Chip time









I was slow, but I am happy! (for my race review go to Sammie’s Race Guide

1 comment: