"Don't let the fat chick beat you"?

I have been racing for about 5 years now. I am not a typical runner or even triathlete. I fight with serious medical conditions every step of the way, but each step makes me stronger. I have two boys both with special needs and I have learned to chalk that up to making me stronger as well.


It is with sad heart that I must report that lupus has won the battle this year, but trust me when I say the war is far from over! My racing days are not over by any stretch of the imagination. This is just a minor setback that will make me stronger.

Monday, March 21, 2011

On your left!

Now that finals week is done and over with (no idea what I got in the class yet) I had the chance to relax and enjoy my weekend. Friday night I was so tired I feel asleep around 6, woke up at 9 (all four boys were being too loud) and got back to sleep about two hours later. Saturday morning my alarm went off WAY to early. I was tempted to say ‘I will do the run later,’ but I got up, got dressed and off I went. I did five miles at a 3 minute run, 1 minute walk; I have not graduated from that at this point. It was an enjoyable run even though I was nowhere near 100%, I just made sure I enjoyed it. After the run I zoomed home picked almost everyone up (Charlie had to stay home) and we went to the vet so Freddie could have his incision inspected (it has been two weeks since he lost his manhood). We got there, the tech came out (the rooms were all full), said he looked good and we were outta there! Got home, I took a shower while everyone else kind of did whatever. About an hour later we were out the door again (no, it doesn’t take me an hour to shower) and on our way to Denver to see my friend. We had to stop at Starbucks on the way up and the cashier was impressed with how well my boys take ‘no.’ Even though my boys are very testing at times I have to say I really think my parents, sister and I have done well raising those two. We made it up to Denver and I was so excited to see my friend, I haven’t seen him in over six years! He has the cutest little boy. We met up at Casa Bonita (it is a Denver attrition that even South Park makes fun of!!!!). It is a Mexican place, I refuse to say it is a Mexican restaurant because what they serve is NOT food! About two hours later my friend had to leave to pick up his sister, it was wonderful seeing him again. On the way home we stopped by the outlets and Cuervo got a new pair of Converse (he LOVES those shoes) and I got more running socks.

Sunday, I had planned on hitting the Air Force Academy for a nice ride, well, it was backwards day, as usual! The boys were meeting Papa and we were running far enough behind that I did not have time to get my bike rack on my car in time. So I dropped them off and went back home. No, I did not climb back in bed, though it was tempting. I got my rack put on, it seems to have lost a shoe since the last time I used it, so I need to go to my bike shop to see if they sell them separately. Hopped on my bike so I could get it into one of the lower gears before I was stuck on the bike, threw her on to the back of my car (ok, not threw, placed). I drove down to the cement section of my favorite trail to run and unloaded. Mind you, I have not been on my bike for more than a year, here I am with new shoes getting ready to go out for a nice “easy” ride and I was nervous! I walked my bike across the street, positioned myself behind bus stop bench and held on for dear life as I clipped into my bike. I slowly headed down the little hill to the trail and I could not get the smile off my face! It felt amazing to be back on the bike. Somewhere around mile four I reached down to grab my water bottle, again scared I was going to kill myself, after getting my drink I put my bottle back in its rack only for it to jump out, I knew I was about to turn around and head back so I just kept going. I got to my turn around point and headed back north. As I approached the bottle jump off area I slowed down so I could, hopefully, find my water bottle (hey, I just got them last weekend). I found it and again I was a little worried I was about to kill myself, but that is ok cause the road was right there and my sister would have no problem getting me to. I stopped grabbed my bottle, got back on my bike and off I went. YAY! No issues getting moving unclipped and re-clipped! By the time I got back to my car I felt so invigorated it wasn’t even funny. I didn’t realize how much I missed the “On your left” (which yes, I had to say a few times). I put in a nice 10 miles, my legs felt great and it was just wonderful! The only issue I had was after I got back in my car, I headed to the gas station (I wanted something to eat) my blood sugar CRASHED! I have not had a crash like this in some time. I know I didn’t push myself really hard during the ride so I wasn’t sure what was going on. I was stumbling around the gas station trying to sip on orange juice, struggling to stand up straight. I got back to my car and finished my juice and tried to chew on the banana bread I had purchased. Once I started feeling better I headed home (no, I was not going to drive until I KNEW I was headed in the right direction). I texted my sister to let her know what was going on, she asked if I needed help and I told her no. When I got home she helped me get my bike off my car (I could not lift it) and back to where it lives. It took me about an hour to fully recover. The strange thing is, I started fighting a blood sugar crash again this morning. Luckily I have all sort of stuff packed in my lunch bag so I grabbed a piece of cheese and gobbled that up in a hurry. I had my oatmeal in front of me but I could not eat it (don’t ask why). Anyway, I pulled out of that one rather rapidly and I am fine now, but this is weird.

This week is a recovery week. I have 3.5 miles on the books for today, might just walk the whole thing, I will see how I am feeling!

Schedule

Actual

Sunday

Rest

10 mile easy bike ride

Monday

3.5 miles

Tuesday

3-4 miles

Wednesday

45-60 minute cross training

Thursday

4 miles

Friday

45-60 minute cross training

Saturday

Garden of the Gods

No comments:

Post a Comment