"Don't let the fat chick beat you"?

I have been racing for about 5 years now. I am not a typical runner or even triathlete. I fight with serious medical conditions every step of the way, but each step makes me stronger. I have two boys both with special needs and I have learned to chalk that up to making me stronger as well.


It is with sad heart that I must report that lupus has won the battle this year, but trust me when I say the war is far from over! My racing days are not over by any stretch of the imagination. This is just a minor setback that will make me stronger.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Ranting

I realize today’s rant is going to make me sound like I am out of my ever loving mind, but for the record it is finals week and my brain is fried!

A near and dear friend found out that her nephew has lymphoblastic lymphoma and has been put on a bone marrow list. My friend asked her friends if they would be willing to see if they are a match. Now, I am an organ donor. I am of the firm belief that when I am dead and gone I am not going to need my organs (not to mention I want to be cremated) and if someone else can put a few more miles on them, go for it! I realize donating bone marrow can be VERY painful, I understand that and I accept that. So I told my blood type (I’m pretty sure they need that) and told her I would be more than happy to see if I am a match. Then I went to my good ol’ friend Google. In the past I have not been able to donate blood (for reason other than lupus/RA) looks like I might be able to know, who knows! I found out that I cannot be on the bone marrow donor registry either. But I did find out that I still might be able to donate my organs.

As a volunteer donor, you will be asked a series of health history questions to determine whether or not you are suitable to be a marrow or blood stem cell donor. These guidelines were established to protect the health of both the volunteer donor and the transplant recipient.

Please read over the following Eligibility Guidelines and consult with the Bone Marrow Donor Program to determine if you are suitable to donate. The Bone Marrow Donor Program may be reached at 206-292-1897, 1-800-366-2831 ext. 1897, or bonemarrow@psbc.org.

AGE: All donors must be between the ages of 18-60 and in good health.

  • AIDS/HIV: If you have, or are at risk for, HIV or AIDS, you cannot join the national Registry.
  • ALLERGIES: Common allergies to animals, the environment, or medications, etc. are acceptable.
  • ARTHRITIS: Mild to moderate osteoarthritis or degenerative arthritis are acceptable. All other forms of arthritis are not acceptable.
  • ASTHMA: Serious asthma (poorly controlled, requiring hospitalization or oral steroids, etc.) is not acceptable.
  • AUTOIMMUNE DISEASES: Donors with multiple sclerosis, systemic lupus, chronic fatigue syndrome, or fibromyalgia cannot join the national Registry.
  • BACK PROBLEMS: Back problems (sprains, strains and aches) are common and may not interfere with blood stem cell donation. Serious back problems, particularly those requiring surgery, may be a cause for deferral. If you have significant back problems, consult with the Bone Marrow Donor Program.
  • BLOOD PRESSURE: Elevated blood pressure (hypertension) is acceptable if well controlled by medication or diet and if there is no associated heart disease.
  • CANCER: Cured localized skin cancer (only simple basal cell or squamous cell) is acceptable. Healed breast, bladder, or cervical cancer in situ is acceptable. All other forms of cancer, including melanoma, are unacceptable.
  • DEPRESSION: Stable, well-controlled depression is acceptable.
  • DIABETES: If your diabetes is well-controlled by oral medication or diet, you can join the national Registry. If you require insulin or have diabetes-related serious health issues such as kidney, heart, or eye disease, you cannot join the national Registry.
  • EPILEPSY: More than one seizure in the past year is not acceptable. Epilepsy controlled with medication, when there have been no seizures in the past year, is acceptable.
  • HEART DISEASE: Prior heart attack, history of angioplasty, bypass surgery, heart valve replacement surgery, or use of a pacemaker are not acceptable. Mitral valve prolapse that does not require medication or restrictions is acceptable. Irregular heartbeat not requiring medication is acceptable.
  • HEPATITIS: Those diagnosed with, or at risk for, Hepatitis B or Hepatitis C cannot join the national Registry. Hepatitis vaccine is acceptable. All other hepatitis history must be evaluated.
  • HIP REPLACEMENT: Donors who have had hip replacement surgery or have fractured their hip bone cannot join the national Registry.
  • IMMUNIZATIONS: Immunizations are acceptable, except investigational vaccines. Some immunizations require a waiting period before joining the Registry.
  • LYME DISEASE: Asymptomatic Lyme disease is acceptable if you have been successfully treated with antibiotics. Chronic Lyme disease is unacceptable.
  • MALARIA: Malaria with no symptoms more than three years ago is acceptable. All other malaria history must be evaluated.
  • OBESITY: Body Mass Index is used to evaluate weight. Donors may be deferred if obesity presents donation risk.
  • ORGAN or TISSUE TRANSPLANT: Heart, lung, liver, kidney, dura mater, marrow, or blood stem cell recipients cannot join the national Registry. Recipients of bone, ligaments, tendons, skin, or corneas may be allowed to join, depending on the underlying reason for the transplant.
  • PIERCING/TATTOO: Donors who have received a body piercing or tattoo are acceptable, if sterile, non-shared instruments were used. If the piercing/tattoo occurred in the last 12 months, you will be able to join the national Registry, but you will not be allowed to donate blood stem cells for 12 months from the date of the piercing/tattoo.
  • PREGNANCY: Blood stem cells cannot be collected at any time during pregnancy. Women who are pregnant may join the national Registry, but are not allowed to donate blood stem cells until fully recovered from the delivery of the baby.
  • SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED DISEASES: Any history of sexually transmitted disease must be evaluated.
  • TRAVEL/RESIDENCE in MALARIAL RISK AREA or UK or EUROPE: Travel or residence in a malarial risk area or to the UK or Europe is acceptable.
  • TUBERCULOSIS: Active pulmonary tuberculosis within the last two years is not acceptable.

Saturday’s race went well. I took it nice and easy (ran 3 minutes, walked 1). I forgot my inhaler, but had no issues. I wore my green plaid Running Skirt. (Actual report will come later)

2007

17 Mar 07

St. Patrick’s 5K

0:36:45

2008

15 Mar 08

St. Patrick’s 5K

0:36:46

2009

14 Mar 09

St. Patrick’s 5K

0:32:38

2010

13 Mar 10

St. Patrick’s 5K

0:38:21

2011

12 Mar 11

St. Patrick’s 5K

0:37:11

Not getting training in like I should this week, but it is finals week and I am not trying to kill myself. Final project is due tomorrow and I am hoping to get back on a sort of schedule after that.

OH! And I did make it to the bike sale this past weekend. Got shoes, a helmet, two pairs of shorts (one tri and one regular), tri top, light and some other stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment