"Don't let the fat chick beat you"?

I have been racing for about 5 years now. I am not a typical runner or even triathlete. I fight with serious medical conditions every step of the way, but each step makes me stronger. I have two boys both with special needs and I have learned to chalk that up to making me stronger as well.


It is with sad heart that I must report that lupus has won the battle this year, but trust me when I say the war is far from over! My racing days are not over by any stretch of the imagination. This is just a minor setback that will make me stronger.

Thursday, March 3, 2011

YAY! Another outside run!

Today has become a two (well, three if you count the ABCs) kind of day.

As I was walking around earlier I remembered that tonight I have class (I already knew that) and that on Tuesday I had decided I would go to Wooglin's Deli & CafĂ© to pick up dinner. This is a big deal because this place is awesome to two reasons. #1 – it is two or three doors down from my favorite running store (I need to pick up some more running socks!). #2 – they have a huge selection of non-meat stuff to include chili. My entire household loves it when I bring them food from this place, but tonight they won’t be so lucky! It’s mine, all mine! Besides the fact that this place has great food, it has college kid prices (might have something to do with the fact it is less than a block away from one of the local colleges). I had been in there to meet someone way back when, but I hadn’t really tried them until I wanted a hot chocolate and the coffee shop a door or two up informed me that all they had was coffee (they is just stupid!). I brought my boys in to the deli and not only did I get a pretty good hot chocolate (sorry, Ghirardelli’s was better, but what do you expect?) but I had dinner for everyone and whenever I am in that part of town (and others know) I get a nice list of what I need to pick up!

Another thing I started thinking about was my weight. Yes, I want my number to go down, but I had to take notice of non-scale related steps too. Yesterday my two primary pairs of work pants were stuck in the laundry, since I can’t wear jeans to work and I really don’t like wearing skirts to work (but yet I will wear them to run) I grabbed a pair of pants that I didn’t think would fit because they are significantly smaller than my usual pants. I pulled them up, hey! They made it over my butt! Buttoned them up and then zip! They were on and done up!!!! YAY! Can I sit down in them? Yup! They were a little snug around the midsection, but not in a horrible way, I wore a long shirt to cover the nice muffin top I had going on, but I was able to put them on, do them up and not be horribly uncomfortable all day long! It is accomplishments like this that I need to keep in mind too.

A few days ago EMZ had posted something about King’s cakes, I was so excited when I walked into the break room at work to toast my Vita Top muffin and low and behold there was a huge VERY colorful pastry thing. My first response was ‘What the hell is that?’ the two guys standing there said it is a King’s Cake! As one of them was chewing on it I told him to watch out for the baby! He didn’t even realize there was a baby in there (no, the baby was not in the piece he had). I thought it was so cool I actually saw in real life what EMZ was talking about! I did break down and try a piece, yea, not my cup of tea! Too much sugar and it had a lemon taste to it (I am not a fan of citrus flavors unless I am actually eating the fruit or drinking the juice).

As far as my run goes, I am overly excited to report that I will not have to hit the dreadmill, I actually will be able to my lunch break at the end of the day (to much going on to take a normal lunch break) so I will be able to hit the trails, again! Since I am going to Wooglin’s I will get on the trail near there (great part is, it is the longest run this week and the flattest!). It is kind of nice hitting the trail three days this week and not seeing the same scenery. One thing that was talked about at Weight Watchers last night was shaking things up. Well, I am shaking things up!

Tomorrow is a cross training day, I am not sure if I want to hit the stationary bike (which I really should) and/or hit the pool. I might bring my kiddos to the pool and let them play after they swim their laps. I know, I am a mean mommy, I make my kids swim laps totaling their age. My dad did that to me and my sister, I think it is just fine for my boys to do, as well! If they swim double their age, they get a Starbucks or an ice cream! Saturday is the group run and my schedule has 5 miles. The weather looks pretty good for Saturday… “Mostly sunny. Highs 44 to 51. West winds up to 10 mph becoming south in the afternoon.” (www.wundergroud.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment