"Don't let the fat chick beat you"?

I have been racing for about 5 years now. I am not a typical runner or even triathlete. I fight with serious medical conditions every step of the way, but each step makes me stronger. I have two boys both with special needs and I have learned to chalk that up to making me stronger as well.

It is with sad heart that I must report that lupus has won the battle this year, but trust me when I say the war is far from over! My racing days are not over by any stretch of the imagination. This is just a minor setback that will make me stronger.

Friday, March 18, 2011

Finals week is OVER!!!!!!!!!!

As I type this I am practically having to wear a seatbelt to keep me in my chair. I am done with this quarter!!!!! I got kicked out of school last night at around 11:15 because it was closing but I hadn’t burned my DVD yet so I had to go back during my lunch hour today. After the mean computer telling it me it would take almost an hour to burn it to the disk it was done rather quickly, I checked it on another computer, I turned it in and I was gone! I am so excited because I have no school for the next two weeks, the boys have no school for the next week and I get to focus on training (and work) and not worry about anything else!

To add to my excitement an old friend of mine is in state! His mother lives about an hour away and I get to see him for the first time in more than five years. He and I have a very special bond that I don’t think will ever be broken. Shortly after we got to Iraq I had been up for more than 48 hours. He was working on some radios (after turning the generator off) and I was sitting next to him in case he needed help, the radios belonged to the section I worked in. I am dozing in and out, he knew what he is doing, if he needed anything he would let me know. The next thing I know he is screaming (in a blood curdling way) I wake up he is being electrocuted! Luckily there were wires all around me and they were all rubber coated. I was yelling at another buddy of ours to shut the damn generator off (my NCO had decided to turn it back on), he came running back with an ax (the generator did get shut off eventually)! I got a wire around his arm and just started pulling as hard as I could (hey, all those years for life guard training paid off). Thank God the MEDEVAC unit was just across the path and they heard the commotion. I got my friend disconnected before they made it over but they were able to treat him right then and there. Amazingly he had sustained minimal injuries. (To this day I can’t be around people when they are working with electricity). Every now and then he reminds me that if it weren’t for me he wouldn’t be here. When I left Iraq (on crutches) he was kind enough to drive me to the passenger area. He is the closest thing I have to a brother and I am even more excited because I get to meet his son! Not to mention he will get to see how big my boys are these days.

I am debating on whether or not I am going to try to get a run in this afternoon or not. Right about now I think I am going to go home, let my boys pick out a movie and I am going to go to sleep! I did not get home last night until close to midnight (that isn’t saying what time I finally got to sleep) and then getting up this morning at 6 something, blech!

Tomorrow morning is a 5 mile group run Sunday I might end up doing a brick or getting more sleep! Next week, I should be able to get back on track and I am so looking forward to that!

Here is to the end of finals week!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment