"Don't let the fat chick beat you"?

I have been racing for about 5 years now. I am not a typical runner or even triathlete. I fight with serious medical conditions every step of the way, but each step makes me stronger. I have two boys both with special needs and I have learned to chalk that up to making me stronger as well.


It is with sad heart that I must report that lupus has won the battle this year, but trust me when I say the war is far from over! My racing days are not over by any stretch of the imagination. This is just a minor setback that will make me stronger.

Monday, March 7, 2011

Two shoes… a left shoe and a right shoe!

I realized when I am hurting I get more emotional about the whole lupus/RA thing. Saturday afternoon I had to take a nap. I did 5 miles during the group run, felt great; had to make an emergency trip to my eye place because my boys managed to royally screw up my glass; went to my second favorite running store to pick up a few things (picked up more than I had planned); got lunch… normal Saturday activities. We were going to make a few more stops but my body made it very clear I needed to stop. So we went home, I laid down to take a nap and the boys watched CSI, New York. I started hurting while I was sleeping. After about an hour and a half I got up, not feeling great, and headed out to finish up our stops. Sunday morning I had to wear my knee brace. I was so tired and I didn’t feel right. I realized as I was poking around Walmart when I am not feeling right the more emotional I get about my diagnosis. I try not to, but I can’t help it. My sister and I went and saw Beastly while my boys hung out with my parents. It was a great movie, but I almost fell asleep a few times! Oops. Got home and again had to take a nap. We have a cold front moving in and I am thinking that is what is hitting me so hard.

As I said, I did the group run on Saturday, I did a whopping 5 miles! Ooooooo! I took it a lot easier than I needed, but part of me is glad I did. I really enjoyed it (I didn’t have my knee band, so I was a little worried if I had pushed it to hard I would be hurting really bad!). I did my one mile loop, then on to my three mile ‘P’ and then my one mile loop. I have to say, it must have been dogs off leash day. There were so many dogs running all over the place it wasn’t even funny! Some of them earned their off leash privilege, others… not only should they have been on leash their owners should have too!

A reminder to bike riders there are those of us who are cyclists who do not appreciate the fact that you give us a bad name. We behave so cars do not bully us off the street. If you are on a two lane street that has a bike lane GET IN THE BIKE LANE AND DO NOT RIDE TWO ABREAST! I was trying to pass a group of bikers and they were just la-te-da where ever they wanted on the street (with a bike lane). My sister said VERY loudly out the window ‘bike lane!’. Shortly thereafter we had to pass a cyclist (on a very curvy road). I had seen him, before we started wiggling. He changed lanes in front of me, not a big deal I was paying attention. My sister was about to make a comment then I explained he needed to turn and that was probably the only semi straight way he was going to get before the turn (and I was right!).

Two shoes… one left, one right. I know, odd title, that is until I tell you about my run today. As I said I went into my second favorite running store this weekend and had to pick up a few things. My boys royally messed up my glasses (I had them sitting in front of my TV and they knocked them down without paying attention, my glasses fell into a laundry bag and my boys stepped on the bag!). Once my nice vision place fixed them my sister and I decided we needed to go get a better case (one that my sunglasses actually fits into, as well). We went to Boulder Running Company and picked up a Sherpani glasses case (by the way both my normal glasses and my sun glasses can fit in at the same time!!!!!!!). I wondered around a little and found some t-shirts on clearance and a pair of running tights (with pink on them!!) so I picked up a little more than I had planned. Being the amazing kids that they are my boys packed my running bag for me last night. Running bottom – check! Running socks – check! Running booby holder – check! Running shirt – check! Running shoes –Left – check! Right – check! We’re good!

I get down stairs, I get changed, I grab my shoes and off I go to the gymlet (a little yuck to run outside). I put one shoe and as I put the other shoe on I realize they are not a pair! I have two shoes, one left shoe and one right shoe! So yes, I did my 3.5 miles in mismatched shoes!

2 comments:

  1. Cute shoe story! If that doesn't make you feel better, you need chocolate. Lots of chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of chocolate! But that won't help my weight. So I will stick with running in mismatched shoes! I guess my boys thought my running shoes were like my socks (I love socks from Little Miss Matched!!!)

    ReplyDelete